Market Medical Director - NY
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a mixed modality care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, virtually, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with people in your community in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
The Market Medical Director (MMD), leads and provides clinical oversight to all clinical staff within the applicable market. Partners with the Market Executive Director (together, the Market Dyad) to manage and execute on market goals including but not limited to, clinical operations, TCOC, care model opex, and service performance goals at the market and partner level for a defined set of contracts. The Market Dyad plays a critical role leading local teams and partnering with centralized functions to deploy, enhance, and maximize the strategic reach of Cityblock’s care model. In addition, the Market Medical Director strategically engages senior leaders and executives across the organization in the operational, clinical, and strategic growth/business development spaces. This role leads with passion for high quality, value-based care, operates and manages a large distributed workforce in a matrixed environment, and leads by example, empathy, and positive influence to support the continuous improvements of our clinical care services.
- Participate in the planning and execution of the Market Operating Plans.
- Drive quality improvement activities across multiple hubs, home-based care, and virtual care, including review of member and care team quality of care concerns
- Drive integration of clinical innovations, including community medicine, care transitions, palliative care, and others, in line with enterprise strategy and programs.
- Oversee and accountable for the performance of in-market providers and other clinical performance.
- Ensure appropriate clinical supervision and oversight of primary care physicians and Advanced Practice Providers who are managing members with complex physical, cognitive, and behavioral health needs as a part of an interdisciplinary care team
- Collaborate with Clinical Staff Affairs to manage provider licensing and credentialing and ongoing competency requirements in order to assure market providers are adequately available for clinical care
- Interface with partner medical leadership in a collaborative and outcome-focused manner in order to assure contractual and member goals are met and member experience is optimized.
- Interface with network PCPs, specialists, hospitals, and community based organizations to promote an understanding of Cityblock’s model, facilitate collaboration, and promote and implement effective patient co-management, in partnership with Cityblock’s Network Operations team
- Develop and implement cost of care initiatives based on segmentation and other population health drivers and partner with your local care teams to further evaluate and iterate initiatives to support high quality member care, for both consented and pre-consented members
- Partner with Cityblock’s Data and Analytics teams to understand and map solutions to address drivers of utilization and translate this information to local care teams for iteration of potential data-driven solutions
- Manage market patient safety efforts and clinical risk management, achieving practice-level and individual patient quality outcomes, in partnership with Cityblock’s Patient Safety team
- Lead clinical quality improvement initiatives that may span multiple locations and that focus on HEDIS, contracted or other determined clinical quality metrics, in partnership with Cityblock’s Quality Improvement system
- Advance Cityblock’s care model and other clinical best practice adoption that assures the standardization of clinical pathways with specific focus on providing appropriate care to complex populations and furthering the integration of behavioral health and primary care services
- Participate in the delivery of educational content around complex care delivery, geriatrics and palliative care, chronic disease management, social determinants of care, and integration of primary and behavioral health needs, across the entire care team including non-clinical staff
- Train and mentor employees, as needed
- Provide clinical care to an appropriate panel of members with complex needs, with an emphasis on chronic disease management, primary behavioral health, primary palliative care and substance use disorder diagnosis and treatment
- Participate in identified strategic and clinical committees and work streams locally and centrally to support Cityblock’s programs across our markets
- Attend external meetings and activities, and maintains professional credentialing and CME standards
- Work daily within designated EHR and care management platforms.
- Manage provider accurate and timely documentation for diagnosis recapture, longitudinal care, and billing and coding, and assist with improvement initiatives to optimize
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (OD)
- Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Medicine-Pediatrics, Geriatrics, or Palliative Care
- Unrestricted Medical license to practice within your assigned state
- 3-5 years experience in senior leadership
- 7-10 years experience in practice
- Collaborative self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole community health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- Demonstrated experience in a value-based care model or community health setting
- Experience providing comprehensive care management, chronic disease management, community-based primary care visits, preventative care and in addressing social drivers of health
- Experience with providers in behavioral health and long term service and support needs, and the provision of palliative care
- Deeply understands value-based healthcare, including the main drivers of medical spend, and can in partnership with the Executive Director, develop and clearly articulate sophisticated approaches to improving overall clinical, spend and utilization outcomes.
- Experience in forming and working in strong partnerships with unit leadership within a high-acuity, risk-tolerant community-oriented primary care and BH programs
- Developed teams, provided clinical oversight to clinical team members, and have held administrative roles in clinical organizations or other innovative care models
- Experience providing clinical services to individuals with co-occurring chronic medical and behavioral health conditions, and have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations.
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team, and specifically working alongside community health workers or care coordination staff
- Proven skills, knowledge base, and judgment necessary for independent clinical decision-making.
- Proficient experience using and navigating an EMR
- Capable of using technology and data to support your work and help drive the ongoing evaluation toward new and better care
- Proficient in reviewing and responding to critical member health and population data
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
We take into account an individual’s qualifications, skillset, and experience in determining final salary. This role is eligible for health insurance, life insurance, retirement benefits, participation in the company’s equity program, paid time off, including vacation and sick leave. The expected salary range for this position is $227,800 to $287,600. The actual offer will be at the company’s sole discretion and determined by relevant business considerations, including the final candidate’s qualifications, years of experience, skillset, and geographic location.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Something looks off?