Senior Pricing Actuary
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
As a member of the Growth and Partner Analytics team, the individual will contribute to the Cityblock’s success of identifying opportunities with partner organizations by managing the risks through our underwriting process. You will be a risk management and technical resource supporting Cityblock as we rapidly expand with different partners to serve distinctly different populations across multiple geographies.
Bringing your experience to Cityblock, you will contribute to the expansion and refinement of standard analytics and modeling of Growth opportunities. In your role, you will work closely with peers and leaders from across the business, including Growth, Finance, Medical Economics, and Market Implementation.
- You will help develop relationships with your counterparts in our potential partners and work closely with them to identify the populations most impacted by the Cityblock model, and to set expectations on joint monitoring of Cityblock’s impact on our partner’s financial performance
- You will work with the Growth team to evaluate alternate contract designs, and identify different approaches for Cityblock to share in partner risk and the value created for our partners.
- You will work closely with the Senior Director, Actuarial to establish expectations for contract performance, to create initial risk budgets for markets and to understand market-specific dynamics that may impact expectations
- You will utilize your time management skills to manage multiple projects at the same time
- You will present the findings/conclusions of analyses both internally and externally to potential partners
- You will continue to improve and standardize our actuarial model and process
- As part of contract implementation, you will collaborate with the BOI, Medical Economics, New Market & Implementation, to align growth and partner analyses with ongoing Trend and opportunity reporting.
If you are inspired by a role where you have scope to tailor approaches, if you enjoy partnering with others to see the practical implementation of your work, and if seeing your work impact the lives of others, we would love for you to consider joining our team.
Requirements for the Role:
- You have 3+ years of actuarial experience
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You have the flexibility to work with non-standardized data sets from partners and exhibit an appreciation for selection bias that may be introduced through the data generation process.
- You are a strong SQL/Big Query/Tableau programmer, with experience navigating non-standard data. You have exhibited the ability to articulate risk and to value trade-offs.
- You are very organized and able to manage multiple work efforts. You understand the link between the actuarial details and the business big picture
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, and an intellectual curiosity to understand understand true underlying trends
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time
- You excel at presenting and explaining complex actuarial analyses to non-technical audiences
- You have a track record of working in cross-functional teams, a proven capability of communicating detailed technical analyses to technical and less technical audiences, and extracting salient insights for business partners.
- You enjoy a dynamic environment and are able to make progress on multiple projects at the same time. You have a continuous improvement mindset that drives innovation to identify and implement incremental efficiencies over time.
- You want to contribute personally and directly to a mission-oriented company. You are not in it for yourself.
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.
Medical Clearance (for Member-Facing Roles):
You must complete Cityblock’s medical clearance requirements, which include, but may not be limited to, evidence of immunity to MMR, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and a TB screen, or have an approved medical or religious accommodation that precludes you from being vaccinated against these diseases.
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.