Sr Cloud Software Engineer, Developer Productivity (Remote)
We are the company behind the popular open-source, high performance columnar OLAP database management system for real-time analytics. ClickHouse works 100-1000x faster than traditional approaches. By offering a true column-based DBMS, it allows for systems to generate reports from petabytes of raw data with sub-second latencies. With an amazing community already adopting our open-source technology, we are now embracing our journey in delivering Cloud first solutions to delight our customers.
With top adopters such as Uber, Cisco, and eBay - not only do our products work at lightning speed, so do we.
We are an open and collaborative company. Our colleagues are curious, engaged and excited about what they do. If you want to work in an environment where you can learn, grow, be an agent of change and have your voice heard - then please read on!
About the Team
The Developer Productivity team is providing internal tools and support for all engineers in the company to make their lives easier. This includes CI/CD, e2e test automation and our internal command line tool to interact with ClickHouse Cloud. Our main focus right now is rollout automation - upgrading thousands of ClickHouse clusters in a controlled and safe way is no easy feat. We leverage the excellent Temporal.io framework and are extending our existing system system to various other rollout (and general maintenance) related problems. Our team is also the maintainer of our ClickHouse operator - a Kubernetes operator specifically built for the requirements of our Serverless ClickHouse Cloud. This mix of customer-facing and internal projects is what makes working in the team dynamic and challenging. We are looking for highly skilled and experienced software and site reliability engineers to join our team.
What will you do?
- Architect and build robust and scalable automation for rollouts and end-to-end tests
- Improve and extend our internal command line tool
- Work closely with other cloud and core database teams to identify areas of improvement - we are our own product managers for internal tooling and developer productivity
- Educate and support other teams using our internal tools
- Work deep inside Kubernetes to design and develop new features and improvements for the clickhouse-operator
- Be part of the on-call rotation and investigate issues in our ClickHouse Cloud production environment
- You have 5+ years of relevant software development industry experience building and operating scalable, fault-tolerant, distributed systems.
- Software development experience in Go (or experience with any other programming language and willingness to learn Go).
- You are passionate about developer experience and automation.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience with ClickHouse.
- Experience leading and shipping large scope technical projects in collaboration with multiple experienced engineers.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- You are a strong problem solver and have solid production debugging skills.
- You thrive in a fast paced environment, and see yourself as a partner with the business with the shared goal of moving the business forward.
- You have a high level of responsibility, ownership, and accountability
- Experience with ClickHouse preferred.
This role offers cash compensation and a stock options grant. For roles based in the United States, you can find above our typical starting salary ranges for this role, depending on your specific location.
The positioning of offers within a certain range depends on various factors, including: candidate experience, qualifications, skills, business requirements and geographical location.
- Flexible work environment - ClickHouse is a distributed company offering remote-first work to all employees
- Healthcare - Employer contributions towards your healthcare.
- Equity in the company - Every new team member who joins our company receives stock options.
- Time off - Flexible time off in the US, generous entitlement in all countries.
- A $500 Home office setup if you’re a remote employee.
- Employee-driven international mobility- we enable you to relocate internationally if you wish (within certain countries and timelines and subject to role requirements, time zones and work permit considerations)
Culture - We All Shape It
As part of our first 200 employees, you will be instrumental in shaping our culture.
We look for candidates who are:
- Motivated by doing great work as part of a team :)
- Open to learning from others and sharing with others
- Team Players: helpful, resourceful, responsive
- Respectful and see feedback as an opportunity to grow
Are you interested in finding out more about our culture? We are a one year old company therefore we are excited to be building it together at the moment. Our first 200 employees are the culture shapers of our future. Check out our blog posts or follow us on LinkedIn to find out more about what’s important to us, and to find out if you’d like to come and contribute to building our culture with us!