Staff Product Manager, CockroachDB Dedicated and Cloud Platform - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. We created CockroachDB to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database. Join us on our mission to enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
We are looking for a Staff Product Manager who is excited about owning the core customer experience of CockroachDB Dedicated. You will define and execute the strategy for the Dedicated product as well as own the Cloud platform that supports our SaaS offerings - CockroachDB Dedicated and Serverless.
As the Staff Product Manager, you will partner closely with the Cloud Engineering teams to plan and execute the roadmap. Core responsibilities for this role include ensuring the CockroachDB Dedicated customer workflows of provisioning, scaling, and managing clusters meet the requirements of our largest enterprises. This includes ensuring we have the right compute, storage, networking resources for our clusters, support across major public cloud providers, regions and AZs. Future looking strategic initiatives for this role and team include supporting clusters that span multiple cloud providers, auto-scaling for our Dedicated clusters and getting our Azure offering (currently in private preview) to GA this year. You will prioritize amongst these user facing capabilities while making sure our Cloud platform is scalable and reliable to support our growing customer base.
- Become the expert in our Dedicated offering and the core platform it supports
- Develop and execute a product strategy for CockroachDB Dedicated
- Work directly with customers and internal stakeholders to understand and address their primary pain points, collecting product requirements and documenting customer needs.
- Partner with Engineering, Design, Documentation, Legal, Support and Revenue teams to come up customer-obsessed solutions and iterate toward a delightful user experience.
- Put yourself in our users’ shoes and set up CockroachDB Cloud clusters and scenarios to acceptance test features before they go live.
In the first 30 days, you will go through PM onboarding with your Roachmate. You will create Cloud clusters, test core features, getting a sense for the end to end experience for yourself. You will work with other Cloud PMs to understand the major user pain points for the area and spend time getting familiar with the specific developer and industry problems your team is solving. You’ll review your backlog, get up to speed on in-flight features, and learn how to understand feature adoption.
After three months you will be fully integrated into the team. You'll identify, research, and test solutions to problems. You will conduct customer calls and analyze telemetry to determine where the Cloud teams need to invest to grow our revenue. There are countless opportunities for us to invest in and you will be responsible for prioritizing the ones that will exceed our customer’s expectations and allow them to seamlessly integrate CockroachDB into their operations. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using CockroachDB Dedicated that requires delightful, reliable, and scalable products built by you and your team.
- 10+ years of total work experience.
- Experience building features in public clouds (AWS, GCP or Azure) in the enterprise technology space.
- An ability to grasp complex technical concepts and tie the impact of technical trade-offs to user experience trade-offs.
- Experience working with engineering to prototype and iterate on features to improve an end-to-end user journey or workflow in the context of a product strategy.
- Experience working with medium-sized to large enterprises to understand and address problems and set proper timelines and expectations around feature delivery.
- Excellent writing skills. We rely on documents to align plans and requirements across teams.
- A collaborative approach and an eagerness to partner with other product teams and all other functions in the company.
Nice to Have
- Experience with OLTP or OLAP databases is an additional plus but not required or expected.
- Experience working on infrastructure products is a nice plus.
Reporting to Lakshmi Kannan - Director of PM, Cloud Platform and Security
Lakshmi is responsible for getting our SaaS offerings to product market fit. Lakshmi joined Cockroach Labs in 2018 and has since worked on different parts of the CockroachDB Cloud platform. She is excited to continue building a mission critical SaaS platform for some of the most valuable applications in the world. When not at work, Lakshmi enjoys trying out new recipes in the kitchen, hiking and being outdoors with her wife and dog in Colorado, and Crossfit workouts that keep her on her toes.
Partnering with Abhinav Garg - Principal PM and Steve Tidwell - Senior Engineering Manager
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible PTO & Flexible Hours
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $165,000 to $225,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.