Product Marketing Director - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
We are seeking a Product Marketing Director to join our team. Our ideal candidate is passionate about the technologies that underpin world-changing applications, deeply technical, and loves working closely with a fast-moving and highly innovative product team. This role will drive product marketing strategies for CockroachDB while helping us continue to lead and define our category of Distributed SQL. Product Marketing is in the middle of everything Cockroach Labs does. If you like working with the R&D team in the morning, the Demand Generation team mid-day, and the Sales team in the afternoon, we’d love to hear from you!
- Develop and execute strategic marketing plans to drive product awareness, adoption, and revenue growth for CockroachDB and supporting feature sets.
- Articulate “our story” by leading the virtual team responsible for product, solution, and campaign messaging frameworks.
- Use customer data, market trends, and competitive insights to inform product positioning and messaging.
- Own the way we understand our target buyer/user personas.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, sales, and demand generation, to ensure alignment and launch new products and features effectively.
- Create compelling marketing content, including sales collateral, website copy, and blog posts, to effectively communicate the value proposition of our products to target audiences.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders, including customers, partners, and industry influencers, to enhance brand visibility and drive product advocacy.
- Monitor and stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and competitor activities to identify new growth opportunities and ensure our products remain competitive in the market.
- Collaborate with the sales team to develop sales enablement tools to support the sales process and drive revenue goals.
In your first 30 days, you will dive deep into our product, deployment paths (self-deployed and DBaaS), and go-to-market strategy. You’ll work closely with the product managers and engineering teams who support your part of the product. You’ll learn how we measure our business and connect with key managers in the marketing organization.
In the next 60 days, you will refine our product and campaign messaging and build a product launch plan for our next release cycle.
After three months, you will be fully engaged with the various stakeholders you need to work with: sales, sales enablement, sales engineering, business development, demand generation, content marketing, AR/PR, and other key stakeholders at Cockroach Labs.
- 9-12+ years of proven product marketing of enterprise software/SaaS experience
- Deep technical knowledge, ideally in the database category
- Strong messaging and persona-building skills
- The ability and desire to write long-form content that people want to read
- Confidence in working with technical teams and the desire to ramp up quickly
- The ability to cultivate a positive working relationship with everyone you work with
- The desire to help Cockroach Labs build the Distributed SQL category and introduce it to the world
Reporting to Andrew Marshall, VP of Product Marketing and Developer Relations
You will join a world-class Product Marketing team in the broader Marketing organization. Product Marketing at Cockroach Labs means you work with *everyone*, including sales, sales enablement, solution engineering, product management, demand generation, and other teams. We like it that way—helping to shape the strategy of a high-growth company no matter where it takes us. If you’re looking to join an impactful team that impacts the company’s growth vector daily, this job is for you.
You’ll report to Andrew Marshall, VP of Product Marketing and a product leader who’s driven marketing strategies at companies like Amazon Web Services, PagerDuty, New Relic, and Microsoft. Andrew believes in building teams that think creatively, love working together, and are genuinely excited to build new things daily.
- Competitive health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible PTO & Flexible Hours
- Learning & Development Budget
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $175,000 to $245,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.