Procurement Specialist - New York
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open-source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
The Procurement Specialist will be the key support as we further build out and mature our financial operations function. You will partner with global stakeholders from across the company, working together to add value. The right candidate will be a strategic, solutions-oriented thinker who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is hands-on, has great communication skills, and who has first-hand experience negotiating agreements. This is an exciting opportunity to make a meaningful impact as the company further expands globally, part of which is implementing new financial systems and operating a best-in-class procurement system - all while supporting the company’s growing needs and jumping in to support other areas of the Finance function. The Procurement Specialist will report directly to the Head of Procurement and Accounts Payable and will have the opportunity to participate in the establishment of scalable processes, ensure compliance with policies, and optimize our newly live procurement system. The Procurement Specialist will be on the ground floor of a newly formed function at a high-growth startup and will have significant opportunities for their own development and growth.
- Prepare, reconcile, and review Supplier invoices for approval during each cycle. Perform reconciliations with sub-ledgers and bank statements, when necessary.
- Review and process employee expense reimbursements, ensuring accurate coding in compliance with US GAAP.
- Ensure adherence to internal Procurement and Expense Reimbursement policies.
- Develop and maintain relationships with Suppliers, facilitating seamless onboarding, contract management, and resolution of payment issues.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to understand business needs and provide procurement support to achieve cost-effective and timely goals.
- Lead contract negotiations in collaboration with key stakeholders, optimizing value for the company by negotiating pricing, commercial terms, and conditions.
- Develop spend category strategies and establish performance metrics to manage and optimize company-wide spending.
- Contribute to the design and expansion of the company's financial systems.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the company's Procurement system, ensuring optimization and implementation of planned enhancements.
- Act as a trusted business partner, collaborating closely with stakeholders in Finance, Legal, Internal IT, Compliance, Security, and other departments to ensure thorough Supplier due diligence.
- Assist with ad hoc requests and projects within the Finance department.
- Provide operational support to the Accounting or broader Finance team, as required.
In your first 30 days, your primary focus will be to acquire a comprehensive understanding of our existing processes and organizational structure. You will engage in meetings with stakeholders from various departments to gain insights into the collaborative dynamics between the Finance team and other functions. This will allow you to cultivate relationships and familiarize yourself with the team structure at Cockroach Labs. Specifically, you will concentrate on comprehending the operations of each team, particularly in relation to the Procurement and Accounts Payable functions. Additionally, you will become proficient in utilizing the current Procurement & AP software, as well as any other essential tools required for your role.
In your first 60 days, leveraging your in-depth understanding of processes and systems, you will play a crucial role in the Supplier bill and expense workflow. You will actively contribute and take steps towards ownership of this workflow, demonstrating your ability to manage and streamline the supplier billing and expense management processes.
After 90 days, you will have developed key relationships and an understanding of the process and systems in place. You will be well-equipped to contribute to various aspects of our procurement practices, including Supplier contract negotiations, Request for Proposals (RFPs), and the development of category spend strategies. Your expertise and insights in these areas will play a significant role in enhancing our procurement operations and optimizing our supplier relationships.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a Financial Operations, Procurement, Accounts Payable, or Accounting role
- Demonstrated proficiency in procurement best practices, supplier selection, contract negotiations, and RFPs
- Strong problem-solving abilities, record-keeping skills, and critical thinking capabilities
- Aptitude for learning and implementing scalable processes
- Effective communication and collaboration skills across all functions and levels, with a customer service mindset and a dedication to fostering internal and external relationships
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Exemplary judgment and discretion when handling confidential and highly sensitive financial information
- Proficiency in G-Suite, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Familiarity with procurement software (preferably Coupa), NetSuite, employee reimbursement software, and Jira
The position is within our Procurement and Accounts Payable team, led by Kevin Stacey.
Kevin has always exhibited a deep passion for technology. He is committed to constructing exceptional teams that empower businesses to reach their full potential. Kevin aims to amplify the effectiveness of our operations and his tenure at Cockroach Labs has been dedicated to establishing a function that accomplishes these objectives.
With a wealth of experience in cultivating teams within rapidly expanding tech environments, Kevin possesses a comprehensive understanding of the profession and industry as a whole. He firmly believes in the distinctive value that a Procurement and Accounts Payable team can bring, and his commitment lies in building a world-class global function here at Cockroach Labs. Kevin takes pride in mentoring his team members and celebrates their continued development, often leading them to remarkable positions at other renowned tech companies. He also actively engages in hands-on growth and ensures valuable experiences for each member of his team.
In his spare time, Kevin is an avid sports fan, both playing and as a spectator, and enjoys spending time with his family - both in New York City, where he resides, but also across the globe when the opportunity for travel arises.
- Competitive health insurance option (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Learning and Development budget
- Relocation support
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $90,000 to $120,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.