Software Engineer Winter Intern (Frontend) - New York City
**Please note this is for the Winter cohort only, running from January to April of 2024. The Summer internship requisition will go live for applicants towards the end of the year. All interns will be expected to be in New York City for the duration of their cohort.**
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
- Build and deploy elegant solutions to complex UI challenges that our customers face when provisioning and managing their databases in our cloud offerings and operating large CockroachDB clusters on-premise.
- Contribute to the growth of CockroachDB as a consumer product by designing, building, and testing compelling systems with a focus on the frontend.
- Be matched to a team based on your interests, and complete a project related to your focus area that is shared with the entire Engineering organization.
- Work closely with other engineers and product managers across our the cloud and database teams.
- Take part in a collaborative culture and exchange knowledge with a highly experienced technical organization.
- Meet regularly with your Mentor and Manager to get feedback and continue refining your skills
In your first 4 weeks, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. During this time, you will work on a starter project that allows you to gain confidence in navigating the code base and begin to understand our engineering environment. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
For the next 8-12 weeks, you will make meaningful contributions to our codebase. After wrapping up your starter project, you will work with your manager to focus your efforts on a project that aligns with your interests and the product roadmap.
The cohort will close out with our Intern Presentations, where each intern has the opportunity to showcase the work they've done to the entire Engineering organization.
- Are pursuing studies in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related technical field graduating between December 2024-December 2026.
- Have had exposure to coursework on subjects like distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, file systems, or SQL processing.
- Are comfortable using modern programming languages and technologies. We use React/TypeScript on the client side and Go on the server side, but if you don't know them, you'll learn while you're here.
- Love building relationships with your colleagues and enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Have past experience working on production-level code.
- Are genuinely interested in Cockroach Labs's mission and are excited to use CockroachDB in your projects.
Our interview process consists largely of programming in a real environment, and we'll be evaluating you on the skills listed above.
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $8,250 to $8,750 per month, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.