Director, Demand Generation - Austin, Texas
What you build and where it takes you shouldn't be limited by the capabilities of your database. We created CockroachDB to be the most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database on the planet. Making scale so simple, you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient, it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
Cockroach Labs is looking for a Director of Demand Generation to lead our efforts to acquire, retain, and expand usage among CockroachDB users and customers. In this role, you will partner closely with your fellow marketing, revenue, and product leaders to help establish goals and effective strategies that continue the high growth of our business. You will lead a team of five spanning several discipline areas to effectively execute campaigns and that deliver pipeline across our ICP. You will bring an analytical approach to our work, facilitating experimentation and analysis to optimize campaigns for efficient impact and to maximize conversion. To be eligible for this role, you must be based in the Austin area and will be expected to come into our Downtown Austin office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays.
- Develop a demand generation roadmap and multi-channel strategy to deliver against our ARR goals at an efficient return on investment
- Synthesize complex data about marketing journeys and be able to identify where and how to drive improvement, isolating and prioritizing areas of focus.
- Develop a deep understanding of our market category, messaging, and personas to guide our work across awareness, consideration, and conversion campaigns. Work closely with product and sales development to ensure message optimization and cross-functional alignment
- Build processes that will track and report on key performance metrics and use data to optimize campaign strategies, and continuously evaluate the performance and ROI of campaigns, adjusting demand tactics and strategy accordingly
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of best-in-class B2B SaaS business benchmarks to set target thresholds; experiment with new channels, techniques, and messaging to scale
- Contribute to the success and ongoing development of our "full-funnel" methods of attracting, growing, retaining, and creating advocates out of our customers. This means intense collaboration across teams to ensure our paid and owned channels are cohesive, connected, and optimized collectively.
- 10+ years of marketing experience in high-growth enterprise software – preference for database, developer tools, or cloud companies
- 6+ years experience in building, leading, managing, and coaching a large group of cross-disciplinary teams.
- Comfortable both defining marketing strategy and playing an active “hands-on” role in implementing marketing programs.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills and a large portfolio of white papers, blog posts, case studies, videos, etc., which you and your teams have created.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills and a passion for making data- and insight-driven decisions.
Reporting to Ryan Kelly - VP of Marketing
Ryan is a former attorney turned marketer. He lives in Boston with his wife Rachel, and two young children, Beatrice and Wynnie. When he’s not thinking about driving pipeline for the enterprise sales team at Cockroach, you can often find him cooking meals for family and friends or working out at Barry’s before his kids wake up. Ryan’s team at Cockroach is exceptionally cross-functional in nature because it involves collaboration with individuals from various departments. For example, campaign execution may involve working with folks from product, content, design, sales, and revenue/marketing operations teams. Ryan loves to build and coach teams who can take a full-funnel approach to marketing, but bring jolts of lightning ⚡️ to demand generation to hit some very ambitious targets. He is a big believer that the best marketing teams in the world learn faster than everyone else and sees it as his job to set up a culture of experimentation where learning can be accelerated.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $170,000 to $215,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.