Software Engineer, Backend (Database Infrastructure) - Bangalore, India
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
The Database Infrastructure Team’s mission is to build base infrastructure on which all the Database layers run. On this team, you will own the entire infrastructure that powers CockroachDB; examples include but are not limited to Go runtime and dependencies upgrades, networking, versioning, cluster settings etc. We are looking for experienced backend software engineers who love building for developers and have a good understanding and experience of the best coding patterns and practices. Working closely with our Database Engineers, you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy globally by integrating distributed databases and the cloud with a world-class developer experience.
- Develop in Go on the server side (having GoLang experience is a plus but not mandatory).
- Design, build, test, and improve common software architecture for CockroachDB. You bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to build the best cloud database service for our users, partners, and customers.
- Work with the team to build foundational frameworks like versioning, jobs, and settings.
- Build a sophisticated configuration framework that allows for efficiently and reliably tweaking various system parameters.
- Work on building blocks like RPC-infrastructure, protobuf, dependent libraries and more.
- Keep a complex system running and solve problems relating to mission-critical services.
In the first month, you will become an integrated member on our engineering team. You’ll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflow, and architecture for CockroachDB and our Dedicated and Serverless offerings. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be a fully-fledged member of the team. You will be comfortable contributing to our platforms. You will begin to determine the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with those areas and the product roadmap.
As our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachDB. We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product, and you play a crucial role in making it a joy to use.
- A passion for working on complex technical products, particularly designing and implementing resource and performance-sensitive systems like databases.
- Experience developing robust, scalable server-side systems using programming system-level languages like Go, C/C++, and Rust.
- Deep knowledge of systems design and building blocks like rpc, protobuf, logging, tracing, etc.
- Comfort in understanding how to deliver value within a rapid and iterative release cycle.
- A genuine interest in creating great end-to-end experiences for developers.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on complex problems.
- Desire to be part of a new team on a new site and willingness to contribute to team and site-building.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with remote teams across time zones.
- Ideally, you have 5+ years of relevant experience, but the number of years matters less than your previous accomplishments and ability to own large-scale technical initiatives.
You will have the opportunity to report to a member of our engineering leadership team based on the project you work on at Cockroach Labs. In addition, you will get to work closely with the senior leadership including:
BabuSrithar - Site Lead, India
BabuSrithar is the Site Leader for India. He is responsible for our growth strategy and is a cultural champion in the region. He is passionate about building high-quality software products and lean teams by leveraging everyone's potential. He enjoys working with people and learning along the way. Before joining Cockroach Labs, BabuSrithar held senior leadership positions at companies like Nutanix, Clumio and recently he was VP of engineering at Apty where he led the engineering globally. When not at work, he enjoys his time with his 3-year-old and family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.
- Competitive health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at email@example.com.