Software Engineer - Backend (Product Security) - Bangalore, India
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
Cockroach Labs is looking for passionate individuals to support our cloud product security efforts. This is a hands-on role where you’ll be working with the CockroachDB Cloud product engineering team on a variety of technical projects related to the security and identity management of our CockroachDB Cloud platform. We are looking for creative individuals, capable of combining software and systems engineering to design, develop, and automate fault-tolerant identity management and security solutions for CockroachDB Cloud. A successful candidate will combine the technical know-how with an empathetic and compassionate approach to engaging with the product and engineering teams across Cockroach Labs.
In this role, you’ll join a small but growing Product Security team, using your experience and skills to significantly influence the culture and practices for security engineering at Cockroach Labs.
- Implement and maintain core identity management and security features using Go, working with full-stack teams that use Go, Protobuf, TypeScript and React
- Plan and lead product security and identity management projects for CockroachDB Cloud, our Cloud database product.
- Bring subject matter expertise to the team to help develop the security consciousness of the Cloud product team at Cockroach Labs
- Act as a subject matter expert on security best practices
- Evangelize security practices within engineering teams
- Provide expertise in the field of cloud product security in relation to AWS, GCP, and Azure cloud domains
- Participate in on-call rotation for security engineering incident response process
The qualifications below are ideal, but not all required. We strongly encourage candidates who do not have all the qualifications listed below to apply.
- Experience writing secure Cloud applications in Go.
- Previous experience (5+ years) in security engineering, application security, systems engineering, or site reliability engineering (SRE)
- 3+ years of experience in a software development role OR in a production operations role
- Hands-on experience with AWS, Azure, or GCP, ideally with a focus on securing public cloud environments
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, HashiCorp suite of tools, or alternate cloud or CI/CD platform tooling
- Solid understanding of networking concepts and cloud security best practices
- Knowledge of application security and common application security vulnerabilities such as OWASP Top 10
- The desire and capability to take a structured approach to solving large scale, complex problems
- The ability to take a caring and empathetic approach to relationship building and problem solving
In your first 30 days, you will become an integrated member of our engineering team. You’ll become familiar with our production systems, software development workflow, and application architecture for CockroachDB and CockroachCloud. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our technology and our company.
In your second month, you’ll focus on gaining familiarity with our security challenges, focusing on security challenges in our production application. You’ll contribute to our engineering team security culture by preparing a security-focused presentation to the engineering team.
In your third month, you’ll become a point person for a major production security feature, helping implement or review one or more significant IAM or security related CockroachDB features under development that have a security impact.
BabuSrithar - Site Lead, India
BabuSrithar is the Site Leader for India. He is responsible for our growth strategy and is a cultural champion in the region. He is passionate about building high-quality software products and lean teams by leveraging everyone's potential. He enjoys working with people and learning along the way. Before joining Cockroach Labs, BabuSrithar held senior leadership positions at companies like Nutanix, Clumio and recently he was VP of engineering at Apty where he led the engineering globally. When not at work, he enjoys his time with his 3-year-old and family.
Isaac Wong - VP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Flexible PTO
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.