Senior Manager, Sales Engineering - South US
What you build and where it takes you should be unrestricted by the capabilities of your database. That's why we created CockroachDB as the planet's most highly evolved, cloud-native, distributed SQL database. Making scale so simple you don't even have to think about it. Making data so resilient it becomes impossible to destroy. Making delivery so seamless, your apps run anywhere. Join us on our mission to build a different breed of database—one born in the cloud and built from the ground up to help companies of any size scale fast, survive disaster, and thrive everywhere.
About the Role
Our Sales Engineering Managers will play a crucial role in ensuring quality in technical sales execution. Developing a team of Sales Engineers, creating a healthy regional sales team and providing feedback for Product, Marketing and Education teams are the ways in which quality can be achieved. You will be a trusted technical advisor for your Regional Sales Director and a coach and enabler for your team of Sales Engineers and a purveyor of the customer’s voice with the other departments that support Sales. This is a remote role but you must be based in the Southern US.
- Work with your team of Sales Engineers to ensure best-in-class technical sales execution
- Partner with you Regional Sales Director on forecast accuracy, unblock opportunities, facilitate deal reviews, conduct PoC reviews and report on the team’s overall performance
- Collaborate with your counterparts in Product, Marketing and Education to ensure bi-directional communication around product improvements, new feature releases, customer issues, correct messaging, sales strategy, process improvements, subject matter expertise teams and more
- Provide continuous feedback and enablement for your team
- Assist with recruiting new Sales Engineers and ensuring the continued growth and retention of the existing team
Our expectation is that it takes around one quarter for a Sales Engineering Manager to be functional and two quarters to be fully ramped - therefore, your first ninety days at Cockroach Labs will be focused on learning the product, understanding the needs of our customers, learning our sale methodology and stepping into an active role in the sales and technical win processes, forecasting, operational reporting and meeting with cross-department teams . In your first 30 days, you will immerse yourself in CockroachDB value proposition and our sales methodology. We believe that it's important for you to take this first month to become familiar with our company, people, technology and message. By the end of your first 30 days, you will be ready to deliver a 30 minute pitch and demo to an audience of your peers.
During this time you will also be an active listener on customer calls and build relationships with various teams at Cockroach Labs. As you gain confidence in the message and technology, you will be called upon to review customer conversations, assist with the technical sales strategy and help build out your regional Sales and Sales Engineering team.
- 12-15+ years of technical sales experience with 5+ years of managing technical sales teams
- A strong ability to prioritize sales opportunities, resolve conflicts, enable team members, solve complex problems, assist with unblocking stalled opportunities, sales & use case qualification, giving honest feedback for improvement as opposed to criticism.
- A passion for Sales and a focus on optimizing the technical sales cycle
- A unwavering willingness for making customers successful
- A constant positive attitude and a motivating personality
- Experience being a technical seller with a prior history for software engineering and/or professional services
- Fostering team building behaviors and activities
- The flexibility to travel to meet customers, attend events or conferences or wherever the work takes you.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $154,000 to $192,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.