Software Engineer, Backend (Console) - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the creator of CockroachDB, the planet's most highly evolved cloud-native, distributed SQL database that scales fast, survives anything, and thrives anywhere. Join us on our mission to unshackle teams from the constraints of their database and enable every developer to build world-changing applications!
About the Role
CockroachDB Cloud provides CockroachDB to anyone who needs to scale fast, survive anything, and thrive everywhere. We are looking for a backend software engineer who is excited to focus on the server side components of our Cloud Console application. The Console is our control plane application for CockroachDB Cloud and it allows users to manage clusters across their organization. Our team has broad ownership and some domain area examples include the signup/login/onboarding flows, creating/organizing/managing clusters, notifications and billing, and managing roles and permissions of a user or service account. This ownership also includes the external facing surfaces in which a user can interact with the control plane including the Console UI, Terraform, API, and other CLI tools.
The Console team’s mission is to bring the power of CockroachDB to every developer, through a trusted managed-service offering that enables them to easily setup, manage, and operate their clusters for their world-changing applications. Working closely with our SRE team, Frontend and other Backend Engineers, and Database Engineers you will be part of a collaborative culture striving to make data easy at global scale by integrating distributed databases and the cloud with a world-class developer experience.
- Design, build, test, and improve CockroachDB Cloud. You bring your expertise and commitment to excellence to build the best cloud database service for our users, partners, and customers.
- Develop in Go on the server-side, but if you don't know it, you'll learn while you're here.
- Collaborate with engineers, product managers, and designers across our cloud and database teams to design, implement, and deliver features that remove the headaches of database operations for our users.
- Make sure that as our DBaaS rapidly grows it remains scalable, survivable, and consistent.
- Take part in a collaborative culture and exchange knowledge with a highly experienced technical organization.
In the first month, you will join your engineering team and start to learn about our production systems, software development workflow, and the architecture of CockroachDB and our cloud offerings. We believe that it's essential for you to take this time to become familiar with our technology, company, and our culture.
After three months, you'll be a fully-fledged member of the Cloud Console team and feel comfortable contributing to our platforms. You will begin determining the parts of our product that most interest you and work with your manager to focus your efforts on projects that align with your interests and our goals.
We want our users to have a phenomenal experience using our product. You play a crucial role in making CockroachDB Cloud a joy to use, and as our team grows, you will have the opportunity to shape the direction of development for CockroachDB Cloud and CockroachDB. We also offer technical training and experienced mentorship to help you learn and advance your career into whatever you wish it to be.
- A passion for working on complex technical products, particularly the design and implementation of modern, highly available web applications.
- Experience developing robust, scalable web applications using programming languages like Go, C/C++, Java, and Python.
- Experience with systems design, API design, and infrastructure including tooling such as Kubernetes, AWS, GCP, and Azure.
- Experience and interest in the Identity and Access Management (IAM) domain.
- Experience building collaborative relationships with your colleagues. You enjoy being part of the code review process and partnering with your teammates on challenging problems.
- Comfort in understanding how to deliver value within a rapid, iterative, release cycle.
- A genuine interest in creating great end-to-end experiences for developers.
- 2+ years of relevant experience. We are scaling fast and every contributor counts, from earlier career engineers who want to learn and grow alongside the company to seasoned experts who can lead and mentor.
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
Reporting to Zane Teh - Senior Engineering Manager
Zane joined Cockroach Labs in 2021 and leads the Cloud Console engineering team at Cockroach Labs. Previously, he spent years building consumer and entertainment experiences for products like Xbox and Hulu. He was attracted to the people and culture at Cockroach Labs and the incredible opportunity to help drive the growth of our Cloud product. Zane is originally from Victoria, BC, Canada but now lives just outside of Seattle in Redmond, WA with his wife and 2 daughters. Outside of work he enjoys finding balance and staying active with fitness/sports (basketball, soccer, running) or spending quality time with family and friends.
Isaac Wong - SVP of Engineering
Isaac is responsible for the health of the engineering organization at Cockroach Labs. He partners closely with teams to ensure we have a balanced culture that promotes quality and innovation in pursuit of our goals. Before joining Cockroach Labs Isaac was in life sciences for 16 years with Medidata Solutions where he had a front row seat on the exciting ride from a 30 person startup to more than 2000 people worldwide. But the lure of distributed, resilient, and consistent SQL databases, along with the amazing technology and culture at Cockroach Labs proved too much. When not working he likes to draw, play the piano, and search NYC for cannoli's with his wife and kids.
- Competitive Health Insurance Coverage (for you & your dependents!)
- Paid Parental Leave (with baby bucks)
- Flexible PTO
- Learning & Development Budget
- Relocation Support (as applicable)
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $115,000 to $160,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.