Revenue Staff Accountant - New York, NY
Databases are the beating heart of every business in the world.
Cockroach Labs is the team behind CockroachDB, an open source, distributed SQL database. We aim to build infrastructure that keeps pace with the world, so developers can focus on what matters most: building the best products. Join us on our mission to Make Data Easy. Are you ready to aim high and build to last?
About the Role
We are hiring an experienced Revenue Accountant to help us continue to scale our finance and accounting operations. You have a proven track record of working collaboratively with different business teams and implementing scalable and efficient solutions to meet our business needs. You will have the opportunity to be a key contributor to a high growth environment and strengthen your understanding of operational accounting processes. The ideal candidate for this role will develop strong working relationships with cross-functional partners to keep the business ahead of emerging accounting issues.
- Complete month-end accounting processes around revenue and deferred revenue
- Perform flux analyses as part of the close processes and prepare revenue reporting
- Process revenue contract and billing information into revenue software for proper revenue recognition in accordance with ASC 606
- Partner with the Financial Planning & Analysis team in revenue reporting and forecasting
- Assist in field work for interim and annual audits, as well as any other statutory audits that may arise
- Assist with researching and resolving technical accounting issues under ASC 606
- Document and maintain the Cockroach Labs’ processes and procedures
- Assist with the development and implementation of new systems and internal controls that meet expectations of business growth and culture
In your first 30 days, you will learn all about Cockroach Labs and the team's policies and procedures and systems. We believe that it's essential for you to take this first month to become familiar with our accounting process, technology, and our company.
After 3 months, you'll be integrated into the team and will be a hands-on contributor to the Company's day-to-day operations and month end close procedures, working closely with the Senior Accounting Manager.
After 6 months, you will complete the functions of the Revenue Accountant with limited supervision and will help continuously shape best-in-class processes and procedures as the team continues their pursuit of excellence!
- A passion for detail and can operate in a fast paced, deadline driven environment
- Experience as a self-starter with outstanding analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- A positive attitude and self-motivated team player
- Strong knowledge of Excel, including pivot tables and v-lookup formulas
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- 1-3 years of experience, including public accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- CPA preferred
- Experience with NetSuite a plus
Reporting to Austin Wernecke – Senior Accounting Manager
Austin is an Accounting and Finance professional with a decade of experience in the field. Prior to joining Cockroach Labs, Austin worked in audit for RSM for 8 years, focusing on small to mid-sized technology companies in the NYC area. He has familiarity with private company and SEC guidelines from his time at RSM and maintains an active CPA license. He hails from Baltimore originally but has grown to love New York over the last decade. Outside of work he enjoys running, playing piano, and playing squash (when not nursing an injury).
- 100% health insurance coverage (for you and your dependents!)
- Paid parental leave (with baby bucks)
- Flex Fridays
- Flexible time off & flexible hours
- Education reimbursement
- Relocation support
Cockroach Labs is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you need additional accommodations to feel comfortable during your interview process, please email us at .
The annual anticipated base salary range for U.S. candidates for this role is USD $75,000 to $95,000, plus commission if a sales role. We set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Actual salaries may vary and fall outside of this range depending on factors such as a candidate’s qualifications, geographic location, skills, experience, and competencies. In addition, we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. Salary is one component of the Cockroach Labs’ total rewards package, which includes stock options, health insurance, life and disability insurance, funds towards professional development resources, flexible PTO, paid holidays, and parental leave, to name a few! Salaries for candidates outside the U.S. will vary based on local compensation structures.