Engineering Manager, Search
Cribl makes open observability a reality for today’s tech professionals. Our category-defining product suite gives companies the power to control their data and the flexibility to make choices, not compromises. With more than $400 million in funding by top investors including IVP, CRV, Redpoint Ventures, Sequoia, Greylock, and Tiger Global, we continue to grow our revenue and customer base by triple digits, with more than a quarter of Fortune 100 companies now Cribl customers.
As a remote first company, Cribl was recently ranked as the top technology/software company on the Forbes Best Startup Employers list (#7 overall), included in CNBC’s Top Startups for the Enterprise, and has been recognized as a top company for women, diversity, and culture by Comparably. So what's it like to work here? Our culture is rooted in our five core values, which includes Irreverent, but Serious. We like to have fun. We like to make each other laugh. And we love Goats!
Why You'll Love This Role
Are you excited about enabling customers to find, refine, analyze, and leverage their operational data, no matter where it lives, regardless of format or storage medium? Cribl Inc is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead and grow a new, remote-first, diverse, inclusive, cross-functional team of software developers focused on the Cribl Search product, as we execute on our mission to unlock the value of all observability data. Cribl Search flips observability on its head by distributing queries to where your data already lives and aggregating the results - no more expensive data replication, centralized aggregation, megaIOPS+petabyte storage, or kilocore+terabyte hosts required to see what’s going on in your deployed environments. Want to find specific events, trace an execution, identify a threat, or graph metric trends from (ex.) data stored in EBS volumes, Cribl Edge nodes, Splunk, S3 buckets, Azure blob stores, containers, RDBMSes, data lakes, or even a custom datastore? How about being able to do that from a single pane, regardless of heterogenous storage / location / hosting / on-disk format? That’s what Cribl Search enables, and we think it’s a game-changer.
As an engineering manager, you will be leading and developing a team of front and/or backend software development engineers who are committed to shipping high-quality software that delights our customers. This is a fully remote position reporting into the Cribl C021 organization, our internal incubator. Your primary role is to build and grow a cross-functional team that can execute independently and maintain end-to-end ownership of a significant portion of the Cribl Search product stack.
If You Got It, We Want It
- Building, coaching, mentoring, and growing a cross-functional scrum team of exceptional engineers who excel at building scalable, extensible, maintainable, performant distributed data processing systems.
- Setting and maintaining the bar for technical excellence in product development with focus on design, robustness, and quality of code. Maintaining consistency with Cribl’s existing role, leveling, and SDLC policies / processes.
- Leading the team in the definition, design, testing, implementation, support, and maintenance of your portion of the Cribl Search stack.
- Fostering a “customer first” mindset by aligning your team’s effort with customer delight.
- Collaborating with other leaders to drive alignment between Search teams, and in cross-functional efforts involving the larger Cribl Engineering team.
- Establishing a strong partnership with product management and product operations team members to refine, prioritize, and execute against the Search roadmap
As An Active Member Of Our Team, You Will...
- Have 4 or more years of progressive management experience hiring, leading, growing, and mentoring teams of high-performing front- and back-end engineers in a cloud-based or distributed systems environment.
- Have demonstrable expertise in high-scale, distributed systems architecture, and have worked with high-volume (in both storage and throughput dimensions) data processing systems.
- Have exposure to the observability space, whether as a user of observability technologies or building / extending observability tools.
- Have direct experience building applications on a recent version of node.js – bonus points if you have personal experience with TypeScript!
- Be an excellent communicator in both written and verbal English.
- Have a BS, Masters, or PhD CS/EE or similar, or equivalent practical experience; 8+ years of industry experience, including at least 4 years in a technical leadership role
Salary Range ($156,000 - $280,000)
The salary for this role is dependent on geographic location. The salary offered within the range described will be based on the individual candidate’s job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to a competitive salary, Cribl also offers a generous benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, short-term disability, and life insurance, paid holidays and paid time off, a fertility treatment benefit, 401(k), equity, and eligibility for a discretionary company-wide bonus.
Bring Your Whole Self
Diversity drives innovation, enables better decisions to support our customers, and inspires change for the better. We’re building a culture where differences are valued and welcomed, and we work together to bring out the best in each other. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics in the location in which the candidate is applying.
Interested in joining the Cribl herd? Learn more about the smartest, funniest, most passionate goats you’ll ever meet at cribl.io/about-us.