Senior Product Designer
The financial industry is growing at a record pace, but our data providers are still stuck in the past — with cumbersome onboarding processes, complicated APIs, slow infrastructure, and expensive licensing costs.
Databento is the next-generation market data provider — with the radical idea that you should only pay for the data that you use. We power the world's largest finance and fintech institutions and lower the barrier of entry for small startups.
Since starting in 2019, we've raised over $27.8M in funding and have over 2,000 companies signed up pre-launch. Our team consists of former data users from firms like Two Sigma, Belvedere, Pico, Bloomberg, Pinterest, and Google.
We offer health, dental, disability, and life insurance benefits, as well as 401(k) matching and visa sponsorships. We accommodate 100% remote work, with teammates living around the globe and paid in their local currency.
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll work closely with our product and engineering teams to design and improve on our core product and implement growth strategies to widen our user base. Specifically, you'll be:
- Owning the end-to-end design across multiple projects on both core product and growth features.
- Working with external and internal stakeholders to identify and prioritize user needs that are ambiguous in scope and translate them into simple and elegant solutions.
- Working with engineers to bridge the gap between design and technical implementation and implementing a high standard for new feature launches.
- Defining design systems and steering the evolution of the product's visual language.
- Motivating design-oriented decisions and standards firm-wide.
Our core products are an API service and an enterprise web application. Here are some key highlights of our product strategy:
- Product-led growth with low touch sales. We rely on product features like referrals, team invites and self-signup process instead of a traditional sales pipeline to scale our user base.
- Enterprise-grade, consumer-scale product. (Like Slack or GitHub.) Our competitors adopt a traditional enterprise SaaS strategy, opting to hide their product behind a "request for quote/demo" and employing a high touch onboarding process with big sales teams. We believe we can outpace their growth by targeting the same enterprises with an institutional-grade product that instead has the ease of adoption and transparency of a consumer product.
- Targeting a developer-centric user base. (Like AWS, Stripe or Plaid.) We pursue the exponential effect of providing products that enable developers to build an ecosystem of other products and tools.
- Fast iteration. With multiple deployments per day.
- Putting product needs before technical limitations. We have great engineers who will walk over hot coals to actualize difficult product requirements.
What makes being a product designer at Databento exciting
- You'll impact high-level product decisions as well as shape product design culture. As one of our initial design hires, you will largely influence the product design culture and help set the stage for our product's growth. As such, we value designers who take initiative and can design with ambiguity, and can contribute feedback on how to improve our design processes.
- We're focused on product-led growth, not sales-led growth. We resonate with the pain that design is less prioritized in many enterprise products. At Databento, our product is the central driver of growth, and you'll be at the center of developing our product experience. Not only are our founders always raising the bar of our product's design quality, but our engineers, who usually fall into target user profile, contribute to advocating for and improving user experience.
- You'll receive timely compensation rewards that reflect your impact Here, we believe in giving kudos when it's due. We measure your value based on your work and direct contributions you put in, and reward frequently and accordingly when it comes to pay and promotions. Additionally, we offer competitive base pay that is comparable to other top tech companies.
- A strong UI/UX design portfolio and rigorous work experience (ideally, 5+ years of experience as a UI/UX Designer or Product Designer)
- Proficiency with design tools (Figma, Adobe).
- Experience collaborating with engineers and other designers.
- Experience performing user research, user flow mapping and presenting options to stakeholders.
- Understanding of color theory, typography, interaction design, motion principles and visual hierarchy.
- Keen eye for design improvements and visual detail.
- Bachelor's degree in a design or technical field, such as HCI, Design or Information Architecture.
- Experience with designing enterprise web applications or API products (e.g. Stripe, Twilio, Plaid, Segment, Algolia, Agora).
- Industry knowledge in fintech.
- Familiarity with responsive design.
- Familiarity with collecting user metrics and analyzing user sessions (e.g. Amplitude, Heap, Mixpanel).
- Exposure to product management at high growth startup.
Please include a sample portfolio or website in your application, if possible.
Our recruiting data suggests that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. Even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!