- Develop a roadmap in partnership with the technical lead and ensure execution is predictable, reliable and sustainable
- Recruit, grow and coach engineers ensuring they receive regular feedback and opportunities to make rapid progress on their personal and professional goals
- Shape the broader engineering organization’s operating model by spearheading technical practices, recruiting, onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process and more.
- Help scale our culture as we grow
- 4+ years of management experience managing teams of Software Engineers and track record of shipping high quality products
- Creates team environments that are collaborative, creative, empowering, supportive, and challenging —ones where engineers do their best work.
- Experience building web apps (ideally with React/TS) and/or native desktop apps
- Effectively collaborates with a diverse set of functions technical and non-technical
- Clear and succinct communicator (written and verbal)
- Direct and emphatic while giving and receiving feedback
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Managed engineering teams at a startup before where the rate of change is extremely high
The base salary range for this role is $190,000- $240,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.