Staff Software Engineer - Frontend
- Descript is built with Typescript, React/Redux, and Node.js, and takes advantage of WebAssembly, WebCodecs, WebGL, and WebAudio for real-time rendering and compositing.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate closely with designers, product managers, and other engineers to deliver a high quality user experience
- Develop and refine front-end architecture and best practices to support a fast-moving product engineering team
- Work alongside AI researchers to build innovative user experiences around the state-of-the-art advancements in AI
- Iterate on our script-and-scene media editing paradigm to keep users in flow state during the editing process.
- Push the web browser to its limit, writing high-performance code rivaling native applications
What You Bring
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Industry experience in a frontend software engineering role
- Pride in delivering high-quality, maintainable, observable, debuggable features
- Desire to take ownership, and resourcefulness to find answers and simplify problems
- Self aware of strengths and seeking to constantly learn and improve
- Strong written and verbal communication
Nice to Have
- Experience building creative tools
- Experience building and optimizing single-page web applications (SPAs)
At our current size and stage, we embrace a flat organizational structure and value the expertise and contributions of every team member. As such, we have a unified job title for our engineering roles where everyone, including those with Staff-level scope, is considered a Software Engineer. While titles may not change, we are actively seeking senior and above Software Engineers to join our team.
The base salary range for this role is $160,000-$230,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.