Staff Software Engineer - Fullstack
Technical Challenges at Descript
- Build best-in-class audio & video recording technology that works on web, desktop, and (eventually) mobile
- Design and build new tools for video editing that give users the same kind of “magic” that they’ve become used to for audio editing in Descript.
- Reduce the the latency of multi-user collaboration to meet the standard set by other web-based collaborative tools.
- Make Descript a web-first app by migrating systems that rely on native/Desktop integrations.
- Improve the app’s performance during editing to make Descript’s performance indistinguishable from native competitors.
- Architect a scalable backend infrastructure to quickly upload, process, and store large media files
- Build & maintain standards for interoperability among Descript & 3rd party tools.
What You’ll Do
- Lead initiatives that impact the larger Engineering org and company, as well as own building and shipping new features across all levels of the stack (frontend and backend)
- Take shared ownership of the product process, and collaborate with product and design teams on crafting great user experiences
- Write high-quality testable code that's functional, long-term maintainable, and performant
- Provide mentorship, including to your more senior counterparts in your particular areas of expertise
- Contribute to high-level architectural decisions, and help to design scalable and efficient systems
What You Bring
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience in leading large scale projects involving complex architecture and scalable solutions
- Strong CS fundamentals and experience with web technologies (HTML/JS/CSS) and REST APIs
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Customer obsession - You care about providing a good user experience and ensure you fully understand user needs before diving into engineering solutions
- Good judgment in making tradeoffs to balance short-term needs with investing in long term foundation
- Self aware of strengths, and seeking to constantly learn and improve
Nice to Have
- Experience building creative tools
- Experience building and optimizing single-page web applications
At our current size and stage, we embrace a flat organizational structure and value the expertise and contributions of every team member. As such, we have a unified job title for our engineering roles where everyone, including those with Staff-level scope, is considered a Software Engineer. While titles may not change, we are actively seeking senior and above Software Engineers to join our team.
The base salary range for this role is $160,000- $230,000/year. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.