Head of Brand Design
As Descript’s Head of Brand Design, you will build and scale a differentiated brand identity for Descript, rooted in motion and video. One that, when people see it, makes them think things like “so helpful,” “so smart,” “so honest,” and “such a refreshing break from the usual drivel I encounter on the internet.” You have taste, and a strong point of view on work that you share willingly with empathy and positivity.
In return for bringing your talents to Descript we’ll keep you fed on an endless buffet of face-meltingly cool features and opportunities to flex your creative muscles.
This is a leadership role reporting into the VP of Marketing, collaborating with both external partners and internal stakeholders including the CEO, leadership team and functional marketing leads.
What will you do?
- Build our internal brand playbook and visual brand style and process from a video-native lens.
- Lead, grow, and inspire video and brand design teams at Descript.
- Own creative execution of demand generation/campaigns
- Manage campaign development and brand strategies that include strategic collaboration with marketing functions, campaign development, testing programs and iteration, creative development, production and execution along with creative partners.
- Collaborate with a variety of cross-functional teams including Marketing, Product Management, Product Design, and senior leadership to develop and maintain consistent tone, identity, creative strategy across all touch points.
- 3+ years of people management and 2+ years of experience as a Brand Design leader, Creative Director, Art Director or similar roles. Strong experience with video and motion.
- Driven to seek and try unexpected, surprising, and unconventional brand creative and comms. Skeptical of any creative or comms that look, read, or feel like what you’d expect from a brand.
- Track record of building strong and effective creative organizations in a rapidly growing environment and excel at motivating and inspiring people at all levels to do their best work.
- Led brands that are user journey and experience focused.
- Player/coach who will always want to roll up their sleeves and be hands-on with the design.
- Experience with horizontal products for B2C/B2B.
- Experience working with Figma, Webflow, GA
- Created templates and other in product assets
- Worked with creator-oriented tools (design, 3D, audio/video)
The base salary range for this role is $195,000-$273,000. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.