Senior Quality Engineer
As a member of our quality engineering team, you’ll be doing manual testing on areas including audio and video editing, recording, media production, and web publishing, to continually expand test coverage on a fast-growing product. You’ll have a voice in our quality strategy, and contribute to tools, processes, and documentation to help us continually learn and improve. You will work closely with Engineering teams every day to improve confidence and insights in our release process. This is an opportunity to have a big impact for the end users of a creative product, while working with a truly creative team.
What You'll Do
- Create, maintain, and execute test cases to prevent regressions and identify new bugs in advance of new product releases
- Triage, review, and schedule bugs and quality issues, gathering insights and providing information to Engineering teams on overall quality and areas of improvement
- Lead release testing process on a rotating basis, ensuring critical issues are resolved, communicating across teams, and approving releases to Production
- Ensure performance and compatibility requirements are met across a range of operating systems, hardware devices, and third-party applications
- Work with external QA teams to provide test cases and documentation for ongoing regression testing
- Investigate vaguely reported customer problems and translate them into bugs that can be reliably reproduced by Descript's engineering team
What You Bring
- 5+ years experience testing web and desktop applications, ideally consumer-facing
- 2+ years experience as a test lead on a team, product area, or feature
- Full understanding of the product development lifecycle and experience writing test plans and manually testing software
- Experience testing on both Mac & Windows
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
Nice to Have
- Experience testing AI models, products, or services
- Experience in video editing tools
- Personal or professional experience working with creative tools, especially for audio and video production
The base salary range for this role is $138,000-$170,000. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, and location, and they may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.