Strategic Finance & Analytics
As the founding member of the strategic finance function, this is a unique opportunity to play a crucial role in driving the company planning and forecasting process, performing financial analyses, and providing insights. You will be responsible for designing and implementing models and impact Descript’s overall growth strategy.
The role is a unique combination of both finance and data analytics and requires someone who is highly analytical and strategic, an excellent communicator, and is comfortable with ambiguity.
The right candidate has the ability to self-serve his/her own data, identify and measure business and growth drivers and provide insights for a broader audience. Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, building reporting dashboards,, deriving insights from existing datasets, defining success metrics for new initiatives, building queries to enable more accurate forecasting. You will get to work cross-functionally with product, data science, marketing, and engineering teams, have substantial exposure to senior leadership, work on the highest-priority business issues, and be plugged into every facet of the business.
What will you do?
- You will help build a data and insights structure to support our forecasting and decision making.
- You will build dashboards to highlight key business trends.
- You will partner with our data science team to build data analytics foundations that will allow you and the finance team to self-serve all the underlying data and derive insights for them.
- You will drive alignment on KPIs and other key metrics to track team-specific and company-wide trends, growth initiatives, business performance, and provide visibility into our performance
- You will generate insights and recommendations for how we should drive growth in our self-serve business
- You will partner with Growth, Marketing, and Data science teams to brainstorm measurement, attribution and impact for new bets and initiatives.
- You will identify issues and opportunities to improve our BI processes and data stack with a focus on automation and scale to our finance stack.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in investment banking, private equity, strategic finance, business operations, FP&A or related fields — preferably in both B2B and B2C SaaS business
- Strong analytical skills, proficiency in SQL and spreadsheet tools is critical for the role.
- Strong financial modeling experience, and expertise in top-of-funnel analysis, ARR Builds, revenue analytics, forecasting
- Ability to independently validate large data sets with proven ability to organize and interpret data to surface insights
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to clearly communicate messages that link business issues, financial results, and strategy
- You’re entrepreneurial and have a track record of being able to identify issues and develop creative solutions with limited guidance, and the ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing circumstances.
- You have working knowledge of financial and accounting principles.
- You’re detail-oriented and organized, focused on efficiency and accuracy and always looking to implement better solutions.
Nice To Have:
- Preferably, you live in the Bay Area and are open to a hybrid working model.
- Practical experience with tools like Stripe, Google Analytics, Amplitude for data extraction and analysis.
The base salary range for this role is. $150,000 - $177,000. Final offer amounts will carefully consider multiple factors, including prior experience, expertise, location, and may vary from the amount above.
Descript is building a simple, intuitive, fully-powered editing tool for video and audio — an editing tool built for the age of AI. We are a team of 125 — with a proven CEO and the backing of some of the world's greatest investors (OpenAI, Andreessen Horowitz, Redpoint Ventures, Spark Capital).
Descript is the special company that's in possession of both product market fit and the raw materials (passionate user community, great product, large market) for growth, but is still early enough that each new employee has a measurable influence on the direction of the company.
Benefits include a generous healthcare package, catered lunches, and flexible vacation time. We currently have offices in San Francisco and Montreal, and are open to folks working remotely between PT and ET time zones. Whether you love WFH or can’t wait to get back to being in person, we're interested in offering an environment that works for you.
Descript is an equal opportunity workplace—we are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We believe in actively building a team rich in diverse backgrounds, experiences, and opinions to better allow our employees, products, and community to thrive.