Senior Manager, Documentation
Be Part of Building the Future
Dremio is The Easy and Open Data Lakehouse, providing self-service analytics with data warehouse functionality and data lake flexibility across all of your data. Dremio increases agility with a revolutionary data-as-code approach that adopts Git concepts to enable data experimentation, version control, and governance. In addition, Dremio breaks down data silos by simplifying ingestion into the lakehouse, and also allowing queries directly on databases and data warehouses. All of this is available through a fully managed service that not only eliminates the need to maintain infrastructure and software, but also automatically optimizes the data in the lakehouse to maximize performance for every workload.
Founded in 2015, Dremio is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Investors include Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, and Sapphire Ventures. For more information, visit www.dremio.com. Connect with Dremio on GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you, like us, say “bring it on” to exciting challenges that really do change the world, we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About the role
As Senior Manager, Documentation at Dremio, you will lead our team of technical writers while also leveraging your demonstrated ability to create high-quality technical publications and compelling content, making it easy for data consumers (Analysts/Scientists/Engineers) to install, configure and use Dremio as a unifying layer for data analysis tools and underlying data repositories. This is a unique opportunity to create your vision for exceptional documentation. You’ll drive the strategy to ensure our content is clean, organized, and effective. To succeed in this role, you have a technical background in data engineering, data science, and/or business analytics. You are passionate about instructional writing, with a focus on clarity, straightforward storytelling, and an information architect's approach to organizing material. If you’re passionate about high-quality documentation, see it as an integral part of the product experience, and care deeply about customer satisfaction, this could be the perfect role.
What you’ll be doing
- Manage Dremio’s distributed team of technical writers
- Provide guidance for prioritization, scoping work
- Recruit and enable technical writers
- Coach for performance and career development
- Define an information architecture that focuses on organizing, structuring, and labeling content in an effective and sustainable way
- Write high-impact documentation for all parts of the data science and data engineering lifecycle, including deployment and configuration guidance for IT and DevOps engineers
- Create compelling content that provides clear guidance for data teams (engineers, analysts, etc.); this includes user guides, tutorials, best practices, and reference documentation (REST and SQL APIs)
- Source technical material from internal resources, edit for technical accuracy, grammar, usage, adherence to style, and fit within information architecture
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to develop customer-focused documentation
- Collaborate with customer-facing technical staff (support engineers, professional services, and solutions architects) on best practices, onboarding material, and other scenario-based guidance
- Operate with a strategic mindset, focused on quality of output and impact of outcome: how customers rate our documentation, what % of self-service users complete their onboarding successfully, etc.
- Instill documentation as a value, core to company culture, evangelize/influence across technical teams.
What we’re looking for
- 10+ years writing technical documentation for developers and IT professionals, or equivalent work experience (as a software developer, product manager, or solutions architect, for example)
- 2+ years of experience managing and leading a team
- Experience working with data technologies (data science, engineering, warehousing, analytics, ETL)
- Demonstrated understanding of information architecture concepts and how to apply them
- Experience documenting SDKs, APIs, and/or programming languages
- Proficiency with markdown and Git (HTML and CSS are nice to have)
Bonus points if you have
- Proficiency with at least one programming language.
What we offer
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Short term / long term disability and life insurance
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Flexible PTO
- 16 hours of volunteer time off
- 12 company paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- Remote work options
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Biannual swag surprise
**Certain benefits are only allowed to full-time Dremio employees and may not be the same across all locations. #LI-JW1 #LI-Remote
The base salary range for this position is $144,130 to $195,000 per year. The base salary actually offered to a successful candidate will take into account various relevant and non-discriminatory business factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s geographic location, job-related experience, knowledge, and skills, and education, as well as internal equity considerations. A successful candidate may also be eligible to earn additional compensation including commissions and/or bonuses.
Return to Office Philosophy
Workplace Wednesdays - to break down silos, build relationships and improve cross-team communication, Gnarlies who live within a 1-hour commuting distance (one-way) to a Dremio office come to the office. Lunch catering / meal credits provided in the office and local socials align to Workplace Wednesdays. Santa Clara Gnarlies have access to EV charging (pay out of pocket) and can request for on-site free access to gym.
In general, Dremio will remain a hybrid work environment. We will not be implementing a 100% (5 days a week) return to office policy for all roles.
What we value
At Dremio, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to People, Thinking, and Action. Our Gnarlies (that's what we call our employees) communicate with clarity, drive accountability, and are respectful towards each other. We confront brutal facts and focus on results while operating with a sense of urgency and building a "flywheel". People who like to jump in and drive momentum will thrive in our #GnarlyLife.
Dremio is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other unlawful factor.
Dremio is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
Dremio has policies in place to protect the personal information that employees and applicants disclose to us. Please click here to review the privacy notice.