Staff Software Engineer - Datalake
Be Part of Building the Future
Dremio is The Easy and Open Data Lakehouse, providing self-service analytics with data warehouse functionality and data lake flexibility across all of your data. Dremio increases agility with a revolutionary data-as-code approach that adopts Git concepts to enable data experimentation, version control, and governance. In addition, Dremio breaks down data silos by simplifying ingestion into the lakehouse, and also allowing queries directly on databases and data warehouses. All of this is available through a fully managed service that not only eliminates the need to maintain infrastructure and software, but also automatically optimizes the data in the lakehouse to maximize performance for every workload.
Founded in 2015, Dremio is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Investors include Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, and Sapphire Ventures. For more information, visit www.dremio.com. Connect with Dremio on GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you, like us, say “bring it on” to exciting challenges that really do change the world, we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Staff Software Engineer to enhance Dremio’s data warehouse capabilities on top of the datalakes across all major table/file formats and object stores. These capability advancements will increase our competitive position in the market and enable Dremio adoption for a larger set of customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Develop core components for Dremio’s query engine
- Deliver key features and feature enhancements for our customers in the Datalake like DML operations, time travel, schema evolution along with performance and reliability improvements
- Work with open source projects like Apache Iceberg, Parquet, Arrow and Calcite
- Own design, implementation, testing, and support of next-generation features related to scalability, reliability, robustness, and performance of the product
- Collaborate with Product Management to innovate and deliver on customer requirements and with Support and field teams to ensure customer success
- Understand and reason about concurrency and parallelization to deliver scalability and performance in a multithreaded and distributed environment
- Solve complex technical problems and customer issues while improving our telemetry and instrumentation to proactively detect issues before they arise and make debugging more efficient
- Work with engineering leaders to establish solid designs/architecture for upcoming features.
- Develop the future leaders of Dremio by providing continuous mentorship and coaching of junior software engineers, help with hiring and onboarding
What we’re looking for
- 8+ year of industry experience
- B.S./M.S/Equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent experience
- Fluency in Java, C++ or another modern language
- Strong database fundamentals including SQL, performance, and schema design and background in large scale data processing systems (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, etc.)
- Understanding of distributed file systems such as S3, ADLS, or HDFS
- Experience with Apache Iceberg, Parquet, AVRO and/or Delta Lake
- Experience with Hive and AWS Glue
- Ability to solve ambiguous, unexplored, and cross-team problems effectively
- Interested and motivated to be part of a fast-moving startup with a fun and accomplished team
- Big picture thinking, ability to scope and plan solutions for big problems and mentor others on the same
Bonus points if you have
- Hands-on experience with distributed query engines, query processing or optimization, distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, code generation, or storage systems
- Hands on experience with AWS, Azure and Google Cloud Platform
What we offer
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Short term / long term disability and life insurance
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Flexible PTO
- 16 hours of volunteer time off
- 12 company paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- Remote work options
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Biannual swag surprise
**Certain benefits are only allowed to full-time Dremio employees and may not be the same across all locations. #LI-Remote #LI-JW1
The base salary range for this position is $154,545 to $209,091 per year. The base salary actually offered to a successful candidate will take into account various relevant and non-discriminatory business factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s geographic location, job-related experience, knowledge, and skills, and education, as well as internal equity considerations. A successful candidate may also be eligible to earn additional compensation including commissions and/or bonuses.
Return to Office Philosophy
Workplace Wednesdays - to break down silos, build relationships and improve cross-team communication, Gnarlies who live within a 1-hour commuting distance (one-way) to a Dremio office come to the office. Lunch catering / meal credits provided in the office and local socials align to Workplace Wednesdays. Santa Clara Gnarlies have access to EV charging (pay out of pocket) and can request for on-site free access to gym.
In general, Dremio will remain a hybrid work environment. We will not be implementing a 100% (5 days a week) return to office policy for all roles.
What we value
At Dremio, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to People, Thinking, and Action. Our Gnarlies (that's what we call our employees) communicate with clarity, drive accountability, and are respectful towards each other. We confront brutal facts and focus on results while operating with a sense of urgency and building a "flywheel". People who like to jump in and drive momentum will thrive in our #GnarlyLife.
Dremio is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other unlawful factor.
Dremio is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
Dremio has policies in place to protect the personal information that employees and applicants disclose to us. Please click here to review the privacy notice.