Senior Software Engineer - Query Planner
Be Part of Building the Future
Dremio is The Easy and Open Data Lakehouse, providing self-service analytics with data warehouse functionality and data lake flexibility across all of your data. Dremio increases agility with a revolutionary data-as-code approach that adopts Git concepts to enable data experimentation, version control, and governance. In addition, Dremio breaks down data silos by simplifying ingestion into the lakehouse, and also allowing queries directly on databases and data warehouses. All of this is available through a fully managed service that not only eliminates the need to maintain infrastructure and software, but also automatically optimizes the data in the lakehouse to maximize performance for every workload.
Founded in 2015, Dremio is headquartered in Santa Clara, CA. Investors include Cisco Investments, Insight Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Norwest Venture Partners, Redpoint Ventures, and Sapphire Ventures. For more information, visit www.dremio.com. Connect with Dremio on GitHub, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
If you, like us, say “bring it on” to exciting challenges that really do change the world, we have endless opportunities where you can make your mark.
About the role
In this role, you will work on some of Dremio’s core features including Reflections, distributed query optimizer, and SQL support. You will grow as a leader through mentoring, collaborating with other developers and taking ownership of complex issues to deliver high quality distributed systems at a massive scale.
What you'll be doing
- Own design, implementation, testing, and support of next-generation features related to Dremio’s Query Planner and Reflections technology
- Work with open source projects like Apache Calcite and Apache Iceberg
- Use modular design patterns to deliver an architecture that’s elegant, simple, extensible and maintainable
- Solve complex technical problems and customer issues while improving our telemetry and instrumentation to proactively detect issues before they arise and make debugging more efficient
- Design and deliver architectures that run optimally on public clouds like GCP, AWS, and Azure
- Mentor other team members for high quality and design
- Collaborate with Product Management to innovate and deliver on customer requirements and with Support and field teams to ensure customer success
What we're looking for
- B.S./M.S/Equivalent in Computer Science or a related technical field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience developing production-level software
- Fluency in Java/C++
- Strong foundation in data structures, algorithms, multi-threaded and asynchronous programming models, and their use in developing distributed and scalable systems
- Strong database fundamentals including SQL, performance, and schema design is a big plus
- Experience in developing complex and scalable distributed systems and delivering, deploying, and managing microservices successfully
- Passion for learning, quality, zero downtime upgrades, availability, resiliency, uptime of the platform, and using latest technologies
- Ability to solve ambiguous, unexplored, and cross-team problems effectively
- Understanding of distributed file systems such as S3, ADLS, or HDFS
- Experience with AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud Platform and background in large scale data processing systems (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, etc.) is a plus
- Ability to scope and plan solutions for big problems and mentors others on the same
- Interested and motivated to be part of a fast-moving startup with a fun and accomplished team
Bonus points if you have
- Experience with distributed query engines
- Hands on experience in query processing or optimization, distributed systems, concurrency control, data replication, code generation, networking, storage systems, heap management, Apache Arrow, SQL Operators, caching techniques, and disk spilling
- Hands on experience with multi-threaded and asynchronous programming models
What we offer
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Short term / long term disability and life insurance
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Flexible PTO
- 16 hours of volunteer time off
- 12 company paid holidays, including Juneteenth
- Remote work options
- Paid parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Biannual swag surprise
**Certain benefits are only allowed to full-time Dremio employees and may not be the same across all locations. #LI-JW1 #LI-Remote
The base salary range for this position is $139,091 to $188,182 per year. The base salary actually offered to a successful candidate will take into account various relevant and non-discriminatory business factors including, without limitation, the candidate’s geographic location, job-related experience, knowledge, and skills, and education, as well as internal equity considerations. A successful candidate may also be eligible to earn additional compensation including commissions and/or bonuses.
What we value
At Dremio, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to People, Thinking, and Action. Our Gnarlies (that's what we call our employees) communicate with clarity, drive accountability, and are respectful towards each other. We confront brutal facts and focus on results while operating with a sense of urgency and building a "flywheel". People who like to jump in and drive momentum will thrive in our #GnarlyLife.
Dremio is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other unlawful factor.
Dremio is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
Dremio has policies in place to protect the personal information that employees and applicants disclose to us. Please click here to review the privacy notice.