Senior Data Engineer
Posted on Saturday, September 30, 2023
Fable is a mission-driven start-up based in Silicon Valley, founded in 2019 by global tech industry veteran Padmasree Warrior.
We are building Fable because stress, anxiety, depression, and social isolation are on the rise and affecting people globally, across all age and income levels — and we can help. Stories promote empathy, emotional intelligence, and other cognitive abilities that can lead to better mental health. Just 30 minutes of reading every day can improve our mental well-being. Fable helps our community make reading a daily healthy habit. Community members enjoy the many benefits of reading while making deeper human connections with other readers. We are backed by top investors, including Redpoint Ventures, Tiger Global, M13, Gaingels, and notable angel investors who believe in our mission and team.
🏗 WHAT WE ARE BUILDING
Fable is a community-powered platform for discovering, reading, and discussing books, articles, and podcasts, for deeper connections, upskilling, and mental wellness.
Fable makes it easy for people to discover, join and build communities to read together based on their interest graph. Fable members read together, sharing highlights, comments and insights. We make reading interactive and fun in the Fable eReader.
Fable helps people organize all of their reading in one central place. Members can create reading “Lists,” share their lists, follow other members, import their reading lists from other platforms, and rate and review books. We make personalized recommendations based on your reading preferences.
Every day, Fable helps members set and reach their reading goals to reap the wellness benefits of reading. Our communities set their own milestones to pace themselves and fill the micro-moments in their lives with stories.
We’re looking for an experienced data engineer with a love of working with data at scale to join our distributed team in building the world’s best platform for social reading.
This is an independent role where you’ll be working with various stakeholders across Fable, both in and out of engineering, to design and launch new systems for extracting, transforming and storing data. You’ll be called upon to improve Fable’s data system’s reliability, efficiency and legibility and will be expected to scale your solutions to the business environment of a small startup, iterate quickly, and make pragmatic choices around what tools and technologies to adopt.
💪🏽 WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Develop data models and pipelines to enable reporting, modeling and machine learning
- Develop a content knowledge graph, combining multiple data sources
- Ensure data quality, perform data audits
- Improve performance of data/analytics infrastructure
- Leverage Google Cloud tools and services to bring data workloads to production
- Collaborate with backend engineering and data teams
- Be an advocate of data-driven thinking and communicate data and metrics to the entire company!
✔️ SKILLS YOU WILL NEED
- Thought leadership to ideate with business leaders, identify areas of opportunity, and influence decisions
- Experience working in a cloud environment (GCP, AWS, Azure)
- Experience with DBT or similar data frameworks a plus
- Experience with helping organize disparate data needs and workflows into a consistent, reliable system
- Curiosity to understand business needs and translate them to data solutions
- Experience in data modeling and creating data pipelines
😊 IS THIS YOU?
- You're self-motivated, and take ownership and responsibility
- You love working with smart, fun, sincere and dedicated peers
- You want to be the one to make it happen
- You are resilient and can cope with ambiguity
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and at times unpredictable start-up environment
- Big plus if you have a love for stories and reading!
👐🏽 YOUR TEAM AT FABLE
At Fable, you'll join a passionate, high-performing and empathetic team of people who love stories. We are proud to work on a purpose-driven product with a mission of improving mental wellness. We are a tech company with the soul of an artist. We are an early-stage startup and as such a constant work in progress. We have no time for bureaucracy and are looking for leaders, not spectators. We listen, understand, and consider before we judge. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and have a set of values that are an integral part of our company culture. Please check out our diversity and inclusion manifesto and company values here.
🔑 WHY WORK AT FABLE
This is a unique opportunity if you are looking to join a small team making a big impact, and work on a fast-growing product while having fun along the way.
- Annual Base Pay for this role: $120k - $160k (dependent on location and commensurate with experience)
- Competitive stock options
- Comprehensive health and dental plans
- Flexible vacation days
- Self contributing 401k
- Open and transparent culture
- Parental leave (we believe in life integration not just work-life balance)
- Work from anywhere, any time
WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT FABLE?
- Check out our Founder’s message, meet our team and read our principles to make sure we are right for you
- Listen to our Founder talk about mental wellness and stories
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity at our company. We do not discriminate by race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are a gender-balanced team committed to diversity and an inclusive environment.