Manager, Data Platform Engineering (Remote)
At Guild, we believe talent is everywhere and that opportunity should be too. We continue to have our home and headquarters in Denver, but we have embraced a distributed model of working to reach the best talent in the United States. While some roles may require proximity to our Denver office, roles based outside of our Denver office can sit in any of the following 30 states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, NC, NH, NJ, NV, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI and Washington D.C. Please only apply if you are able to live and work full-time in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
- Nurture A Learner’s Mindset - using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and development areas
- Build Shared Success - building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Be an Owner - holding self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Create Belonging - recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to our company
Guild is hiring a Manager of Data Platform Engineering. This leader will hold a critical role in shaping Guild's data strategy, focusing on data warehousing, data modeling philosophy and best practices, and ensuring the robustness of all of Guild's data pipelines and AI systems. As a manager, you will lead a team of four, responsible for building, iterating, and maintaining our internal Data Platform: which is built with a dbt, AWS, and Snowflake. It has a data vault (DV) foundation with kimball dimensional modeling from the DV. Astronomer-Airflow and Fivetran are used to orchestrate data from both internal and 3rd party sources.
Given the nature of Guilds business, we process data from partners that is critical to operations but has quality risks. This role will support implementing data contracts (e.g., great expectations) and data observability (e.g., monte carlo) as part of the overall data platform. They will develop these tools to enable the Data Quality and management team to effectively enforce data contracts and monitor, report, & manage our data quality.
This role extends to include the security, audit, and compliance of all data systems, partnering closely with InfoSec, Legal, and Data Privacy teams.
As a Manager of Data Platform Engineering, you will:
- Lead a highly skilled team focusing on effective agile delivery, fostering a strong team culture, and promoting pragmatic innovation
- Ensure effective ingestion of data from upstream microservices into our Snowflake data warehouse, enforcing data contracts to confirm that data meets business requirements. Land, validate and prepare that data for multiple uses across the enterprise from powering customer facing analytics solutions, internal analytics, applied science models, semi-real time communications needs, & operational data needs of the service layer.
- Work cross functionally to design new ingestion patterns / infrastructure solutions as required to support product and business needs.
- Be a champion and steward of our overall data strategy - ensuring data modeling best practices and ingestion / consumption patterns are implemented.
- Monitor the health and telemetry of Guild's data pipelines
- Manage / support the security, audit, and compliance across Guilds data and AI systems
- Collaborate with colleagues / stakeholders in Product, Engineering, Marketing, and various Business Operations functions to ingest, manage, and enable business use of data assets.
- Participate in the Data Management Committee and provide guidance on new & existing patterns; support when needed, adherence to aligned patterns.
- If required, evaluate vendors to more-effectively solve a business need and integrate the technical solution
- Monitor market trends and advancements and continuously assess applicability to Guild innovation
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Experience in leading- maturing technical teams and driving a culture of continuous improvement & innovation
- Proven ability to collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders to capture, manage, and leverage data assets to deliver business value
- Expertise in managing both internal and external data pipelines with modern data tools (e.g., airflow, dagster, dbt, fivetran, census, hightouch, python)
- Expertise in managing data warehouse and enterprise data management (e.g., snowflake, data vault, kimball dimensional modeling)
- Experience in managing data movement and transformation in real-time (e.g., kinesis, kafka, redpanda, materialize)
- Proven ability to author and manage APIs in a production low-latency environment
- Experience in designing and implementing data quality management & monitoring solutions
- Experience with rapid build/buy evaluation and incorporation of third-party technology
- Ability to work cross-functionally as an enabler of Product, Technology, Analytics, Marketing and Business teams
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and operate with a pragmatic crawl/walk/run plan of action
- Strong communication skills and able to simplify and tailor messages across audiences
- Experience in multi-sided marketplace
- Experience in a pure service-oriented architecture environment
- Supporting the migration of an ESP (e.g., rearchitecting data model and pipelines feeding ESP)
- Integrating batch and real-time data within an ESP (e.x., Iterable)
- Managing data in a complex regulatory environment (e.g., data privacy compliance and state / federal domain specific regulations)
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a base salary of $160,000-$197,500, as well as company stock options. We are committed to providing opportunities that align with our larger company strategy of Career Mobility. We believe that skills are transferable and value candidates that have a passion for our mission and a learner’s mindset. If you don’t have 100% of the qualifications but can see yourself doing a great job, we invite you to apply.
At Guild, we unlock the talent and economic potential of America’s workforce for employees and their companies. We partner with the nation’s largest employers—including Walmart, Chipotle, Discover, Hilton, Macy’s, Target, and The Walt Disney Company—to create cultures of opportunity that help them attract and retain top talent, while building the workforce of the future from within. By using our proprietary Career Opportunity Platform to develop education and learning programs that work in the real-world, thousands of employees at those companies have gained the skills, knowledge, and guidance they need to build a brighter future for themselves and their families—all without paying for tuition or career services on their own.
Guild is female-founded and a certified B Corp. The company has been named to the TIME100 Most Influential Companies of 2022 list, CNBC Disruptor50 list three years in a row, Inc. Best Led Companies list, Fast Co. World Changing Ideas list and the B Lab Best for the World list among many others.
Guild is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let your recruiter know. We currently offer the following benefits:
- Access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (due to coverage limitations, Kaiser is currently only available in CA & CO)
- Access to a 401k to help save for the future
- Open vacation policy for employees to rest and recharge
- 8 days of fully-paid sick leave, to take the time to heal and or recover
- Family-friendly benefits, including 12 weeks of parental leave for non-birthing parents and 18-20 weeks for birthing parents; 4-week ramp-up period for when employees return from a leave of 6 weeks or more; as well as employer-paid short-term and long-term disability, employer-sponsored life insurance, fertility and caregiving benefits.
- Well-rounded wellness benefits including free and low cost mental health resources and financial wellbeing support services
- Education benefits and tuition assistance to help your future development and growth