Government Relations Strategist
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
We are looking for a Head of Government Relations that is passionate about developing and implementing a comprehensive policy, regulatory and advocacy strategy on behalf of Next. This includes building out Next’s brand recognition among regulators and policymakers in the insurance space, engaging in advocacy that furthers Next’s business strategies, providing thought leadership on how current and future regulations affect Next’s compliance efforts and overall economic growth, and acting as the primary touch point for regulators. The ideal candidate has excellent interpersonal skills, experience translating internal business goals into a public policy and advocacy strategy, a knack for thinking quickly on their feet, and experience navigating insurance regulations and understanding complex regulatory requirements. If you’re looking to leverage your sparkling personality and complex problem solving skills to lead the charge developing the landscape of insurtech public policy advocacy – you belong here!
What You’ll Do:
- Identify, monitor and analyze key regulatory and legislative changes and risks that could impact Next’s compliance and business strategy
- Build out the Next brand among insurance regulators, relevant legislators and industry groups
- Help formulate strategic and tactical advocacy plans with Associate General Counsel, Regulatory Affairs and be responsible for managing progress
- Coordinate with relevant internal stakeholders when developing and executing advocacy plans
- Help develop Next into an advocacy leader on issues related to insurtechs, such as artificial intelligence, big data, and speed to market
- Provide strategic and tactical guidance regarding new policies and legislation that could impact products and processes to the legal, compliance, risk and insurance product teams
- Manage relationships with trade groups and lobbyists as needed
- Work with Compliance to create and manage internal cross-functional teams to implement regulations at each stage of product development
What We Need:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience preferably including insurance, policy and/or government experience
- Solid understanding of insurance regulations, product, and operations
- Analytical with the ability to interpret laws, rules and regulations and how they may apply to the Company
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Ambitious and results-oriented with a strong desire to grow in the role
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Something looks off?