Lead UX Researcher
Location: Palo Alto (Hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
Want to shape the future of digital insurance through deep user experience research? As a high-growth startup, we understand the value of user-centricity and are committed to enhancing our understanding of our small business customers. To achieve this, we are looking for a Lead User Experience Researcher who is passionate about exploratory research, can forge close partnerships with cross-functional teams and partners, and is adept at generating strategic insights using both quantitative and qualitative data.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead and execute exploratory research initiatives to uncover deep insights about our small business customers’ needs, behaviors, and pain points.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including Product Managers, Designers, Engineers, Marketers, and Data Scientists to define research objectives and drive user-centric decision-making.
- Forge strong partnerships with Data Science to integrate quantitative data into research initiatives and uncover patterns and trends.
- Develop and maintain a research roadmap that aligns with the company’s strategic goals and product roadmap.
- Utilize a variety of research methodologies, such as, ethnographic studies, contextual inquiry, surveys, and data analytics, to gather both qualitative and quantitative data that informs product strategy.
- Create and maintain a knowledge base of user insights to keep track of research findings and make them easily accessible across NEXT.
- Explore and develop new research processes.
- Identify opportunities for usability improvements and provide actionable recommendations to enhance the user experience.
- Mentor and guide people across NEXT, elevating the overall research capabilities of the team.
- Communicate research findings effectively through compelling narratives that inspire action.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, best practices, and emerging research methodologies.
What we need:
- 7+ years of comprehensive research experience, including proven expertise in conducting exploratory research within a fast-paced startup or tech environment.
- Strong proficiency in a wide range of qualitative research methodologies and experiences integrating quantitative data into research initiatives.
- Experience with data analysis tools and the ability to derive meaningful insights from data sets.
- Demonstrated ability to turn research findings, whether quantitative or qualitative, into actionable insights and influence stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, collaborative, and adaptable in a dynamic work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Anthropology, or related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- Passion for understanding and advocating for the needs of small businesses.
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.