Data Scientist, Revenue & Finance
Location: Palo Alto (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
Want to shape the future of insurance through data science? We are looking for a Data Scientist to join the growing data org that has a dedication to diving into data and thinking analytically about the health of revenue growth and profitability. The ideal candidate is excited to develop a thoughtful metrics framework, define and own company-level metrics, as well as influence stakeholders and the entire company’s strategy. If you have the passion for making an impact, the intuition to identify critical analytical questions, the technical ability for complex deep-dives, and the communication skills to help the team turn ideas into action - you belong here!
What You’ll Do:
- Drive strategy and roadmap for profitability across the company, including customer journey, distribution channels and product portfolio by gaining insights of the customers and products
- Proactively work with cross-functional and/or cross-domain teams including product, marketing, revenue and corporate finance to influence their strategic roadmap and business direction by providing actionable insights
- Apply the expertise in data to identify, size, and prioritize opportunities pertaining to improving post-purchase lifecycle experience, customer engagement and retention, lifetime value, and ultimately profitability
- Own the data product, leading cross-functionally across product, engineering, operations and finance teams to design the right microservice APIs, data models, logging, and data-pipeline foundations
- Design experiments and conduct causal analyses to provide actionable insights to influence product or strategy decisions
- Evaluate the historical business performance and trend, build statistical models to deliver forward-looking forecasts
- Develop dashboards to track company level and team metric progress against objectives, understand metric drivers, and help business stakeholders make data-driven decisions
What We Need:
- 3-6 years of professional experience in a quantitative analysis role (experience working in fintech or with revenue & finance team is a plus)
- Ability to define the appropriate metric framework to empower the data-driven decision-making process
- Experience with experiment design, implementation, analysis, and recommendation for actionable insights
- Experience with forecasting customer and/or revenue growth
- Experience with statistical analysis such as causal inference and regressions is a plus
- Experience in influencing product, marketing, and corporate strategy team by providing accurate insights and effective communication
- Fluent in SQL and some experience with a programming language like Python a plus
- Experience building clear and easy-to-understand dashboards
- BA/BS degree
- Experience in shifting priorities while maintaining a high level of delivering impact
- Experience in end-to-end ownership of the data product
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.