Location: Palo Alto, CA (hybrid)
NEXT’s mission is to help entrepreneurs thrive. We’re doing that by building the only technology-led, full-stack provider of small business insurance in the industry, taking on the entire value chain and transforming the customer experience.
Simply put, wherever you find small businesses, you’ll find NEXT.
Since 2016, we’ve helped hundreds of thousands of small business customers across the United States get fast, customized and affordable coverage. We’re backed by industry leaders in insurance and tech, and we still have room to grow — that’s where you come in.
The Next Insurance Legal Department is seeking a highly experienced Employment Attorney, with a proven track record, and superb managerial skills to join our highly collaborative team. As Employment Counsel, you will provide legal advice and counsel to the HR department and management on all employment issues
What you'll do:
- Provide legal advice and counsel to the HR department and management on a wide range of employment issues, including: disciplinary actions, terminations, employee disputes, and investigations.
- Review, draft, and negotiate employment contracts, agreements, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal employment laws and regulations.
- Develop and implement employment policies and procedures to help maintain a safe, inclusive, and compliant work environment.
- Represent the company in any employment-related litigations.
- Conduct training sessions for management and employees on employment laws and best practices.
- Stay updated on changes in employment law and advise the company accordingly.
What we need:
- JD and admission to a state bar association in the United States in good standing
- 5+ years of experience in employment law, preferably in-house at a tech company
- Deep understanding of employment and privacy matters
- Excellent analytical and oral and written communications skills, with the ability to work as a team player and effectively communicate effectively across a number of diverse internal groups
- Superior judgment with the ability to understand the materiality, criticality and urgency of new and ongoing issues and prioritize them as appropriate within a fast-paced and sometimes ambiguous environment, providing clarity and direction to the team and others throughout the company
- Ability to find creative solutions to issues, taking a pragmatic, commercial approach in balancing legal risks against business interests
- Insurance experience also highly valued
- Experience managing outside counsel
The range displayed on this job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position in the location(s) listed. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including, without limitation, job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. NEXT employees are eligible to participate in our equity incentive program and will also receive our benefits package, consisting of our partially subsidized medical plan, fully subsidized vision/dental options, life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k), flexible paid time off, parental leave and more.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some underrepresented people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NEXT, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
One of our core values is 'Play as a Team'; this means making sure everyone has an equal chance to participate and make a difference. We win by playing together. Next Insurance is an equal opportunity employer and prioritizes building a diverse and inclusive workplace. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants of any type and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job-related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state, and local laws. Next's policy is to comply with all applicable laws related to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.