Senior Photonics Engineer
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
Quantum computing promises to solve many important problems that could never be solved on any conventional computer. At PsiQuantum, we’re building a general purpose silicon photonic quantum computer to tackle these very problems.
We are looking for an energetic, highly motivated Photonics Engineer who will be responsible for the development of software solutions related to the development of state-of-the-art photonic components and subsystems for a linear optic quantum computer (LOQC).
We’re looking for a creative and innovative individual with strong fundamentals in the design, optimization, layout, and fabrication of optical devices. This role is focused on pushing the boundaries of high-performance integrated photonic components. The role requires excellent python skills, experience with commercial electro-magnetic, thermal, semi-conductor device, and mechanical simulation packages, and experience with photonic optimization techniques. Experience with python-based layout tools and foundry tapeouts are highly desirable.
- Design, develop, and deploy software solutions for diverse photonic design and data analysis projects.
- Utilizing Python and other relevant programming languages to write efficient and maintainable code for various software projects.
- Overseeing merge requests, conducting code reviews, and maintaining code quality through automated testing and best practices.
- Supporting parallel computations and job scheduling on cluster environments to optimize performance and resource utilization.
- Contributing to photonic circuits simulation/design, data analysis and model closure.
- Assisting in the management of software development projects, coordinating efforts, tracking milestones, and reporting progress to stakeholders.
- Collaborating with photonic design engineers to understand project requirements and integrate software solutions into photonic projects.
- PhD or equivalent in Electrical, Computer Engineering, Physics, Materials Science.
- 7 years of relevant work or academic research experience in integrated photonics.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong computational and analytic skills in optics, photonics and data analysis
- Proficiency in Python programming for software development and automation.
- Experience with AWS services, parallel computations, job scheduling on parallel clusters, and optimizing performance.
- Familiarity with SQL for data manipulation, reporting, and database management.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively across technical and non-technical teams.
- Proven ability to manage software projects, track progress, and deliver results within established timelines.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail in code quality and project management tasks.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
For a fully qualified candidate, the expected pay range is: