Quantum Solutions Scientist, (Partial/Ordinary Differential Equations)
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
As a Quantum Solutions Scientist for Partial/Ordinary Differential Equations (PDEs and ODEs), your primary responsibility is to advance the understanding and application of fault-tolerant quantum computers (FTQC) in the realm of solving PDEs and ODEs. In this role, you will lead research initiatives – for example: (A) identifying valuable use cases across various industries that stand to benefit significantly from the computational advantages offered by FTQC, or (B) providing your deep expertise on PDEs to support our Quantum Algorithm team in developing cutting-edge algorithms.
This role is ideally suited for an individual with a Ph.D. education in numerical methods to solve PDEs with strong awareness of the current state-of-the-art, emphasizing a strong foundation in the theoretical aspects of solving a broad range of industry relevant PDEs. Your role sits within the Quantum Solutions team. As such, the role involves collaborating closely with our Quantum Algorithm and Business Development teams. Drawing from your (ideally industry) experience, you offer valuable insights and guidance based on your knowledge of PDEs.
This position presents an opportunity to contribute to the transformative potential of FTQC. If you are a forward-thinking, entrepreneurial individual with a solid educational background in PDEs, ideally with industry experience, and a passion for addressing complex problems, we encourage you to apply and become a driving force in our dynamic and innovative team.
- Assess in collaboration with quantum algorithm experts where quantum computing can be deployed with greatest impact in PDE problems. Help prioritize the effective deployment of a suite of FTQC algorithms across a portfolio of opportunities.
- Contributing non-quantum algorithm expertise to the development of in-house quantum algorithms. Serve as a technical lead in customer projects by collaborating with customers’ teams to integrate QPU computational outputs into conventional customer workflows. Act as an interface between partner teams and PsiQuantum quantum information experts for innovative algorithm selection, prioritization, development, and deployment.
- Develop computational workflows that combine best-in-class conventional approaches (e.g., high performance computing) with the breakthrough computational abilities of FTQC to reshape how PDEs are applied and solved.
- Co-create business strategy for internalizing PDE capabilities.
- Serve as a PDE knowledge source to PsiQuantum’s Quantum Solutions team, keeping aware of recent academic literature, trends, and tools.
- Build strong relationships across the Applications team to foster innovative use of quantum algorithms in PDE techniques across projects.
- Help shape external-facing materials that champion the applications of FTQC in relevant industries (for key opinion leaders, media, and partners).
- Build external partnerships and collaborations on the topic, e.g., in academia.
- Ph.D. in Mathematics with a focus in numerical methods for PDEs.
- Experience across different PDE systems (e.g., semi-classical/classical-quantum dynamics, high-dim linear ODEs/PDEs, nonlinear PDEs), subsequent problem types and application areas (e.g., Sturm-Liouville problems, high-dim reaction-diffusion equations, Poisson equation, Navier-Stokes equation, CFD, etc.).
Please note: Applicants are not required to have experience across all mentioned systems and areas, but should have experience in more than one
- Industry experience, with a proven track record of addressing real-world challenges in PDE applications, is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in collaborating with interdisciplinary teams and translating Mathematical concepts into practical solutions.
- Strong problem-solving skills and a track record of innovative contributions in the field of PDEs and/or quantum computing.
- A passion for advancing the intersection of Mathematics, quantum computing, and industry applications.
- Knowledge of quantum computing and algorithms is a plus.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative and fast-paced team environment.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.