Quantum Architect, Linear Optics
PsiQuantum is on a mission to build the world’s first utility-scale, 1 million-plus qubit quantum computer, powered by breakthroughs in silicon photonics and quantum architecture. We were founded in 2015 by the world’s foremost experts in photonic quantum computing and have assembled a world class team dedicated to bringing the world-changing benefits of quantum computing into reality.
Quantum computing is anticipated to unlock the solutions to otherwise impossible computational tasks, with impact across science, technology, and business. By harnessing the laws of quantum physics, quantum computers are expected to dramatically outperform even the most powerful existing (or future) supercomputers and offer the potential to enable extraordinary advances across a broad range of applications including climate, energy, healthcare, finance, agriculture, transportation, materials design, and more, as well as deliver entirely new industries.
PsiQuantum is uniquely positioned to deliver on the promise of quantum computing. We have already demonstrated that it’s possible to manufacture core quantum components using the standard and scalable manufacturing processes of a world-leading semiconductor fab.
Our team is working across the full stack of quantum computing, from hardware design, manufacturing, and packaging through to quantum architecture and quantum algorithms. We’re a highly integrated, collaborative group and love tackling problems that span across interfaces.
There’s more work to be done and we are looking for exceptional talent to join us on this extraordinary journey!
Quantum architects drive research and development of photonic quantum computing architectures, from entanglement generation through to encoded logic and error correction. Quantum architects in the Linear Optics group work primarily on quantum optical primitives for generating, measuring and routing photonic entanglement, working closely with engineers to implement and simulate these approaches to evaluate their performance. This development is highly integrated with the full architecture development, from optical architecture to algorithms and applications.
Candidates should have a strong background in quantum computing, with experience in some of the following areas: linear optical quantum computing, error modelling, quantum information of photonic states and optical switching networks. Competence in programming using Python (or similar) and experience with collaborative software development is desirable.
- Design and develop new quantum optical protocols for generating, measuring & distributing entangled states.
- Model the origin and propagation of errors.
- Simulating and benchmarking different protocols.
- Co-develop the architecture in collaboration with the wider team, communicating results.
- Degree in Physics, Math or Computer Science or equivalent required. PhD in Physics, Math or Computer Science, with a focus on quantum information theory or quantum computation preferred.
- 3+ years of relevant academic or industry research experience in quantum computing or quantum information.
- Knowledge of quantum information and quantum optics required. Familiarity with linear optical quantum computing, error modelling, quantum networks, quantum graph states, quantum error-correcting codes, graphical calculus (e.g., tensor networks, ZX calculus) strongly preferred.
- Proven team player with an ability to work effectively across departments, sites, and time zones.
- Ability to work independently and contribute in fast-moving start-up environment.
- Experience programming in Python, C++ or similar languages is desirable.
- Competent use of collaborative software development tools (e.g., GitHub) is desirable.
PsiQuantum provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. PsiQuantum does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable laws.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from employment agencies.
The range below reflects the minimum and maximum target range for new hire base salary across all US locations. Actual compensation may vary outside of this range and is dependent on various factors including but not limited to a candidate's qualifications including relevant education and training, competencies, experience, geographic location, and business needs. Base pay is only one part of the total compensation package. Full time roles are eligible for equity and benefits. Base pay is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
For a fully qualified candidate, the expected pay range is: