Product Manager, Code AI Platform
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code AI platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven't even heard of code AI yet, but once you've used it, you can't live without it--just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Why this job is exciting
Sourcegraphs deep code expertise sits at the heart of Cody’s industry leading technical capabilities. Our Code AI platform is core to everything we do at Sourcegraph (read more in our handbook). As the Product Manager for our Code AI Platform, you will be responsible for continuing to push the boundaries of what it means to build an open and universal platform in the age of LLMs. How do we measure the impact of an admin’s LLM choice to their developers user experience? How do we help admins in extremely secure organizations trust our platform? Why would a developer build with our platform over competitors? Ideally, you will define a compelling vision at the center of our unique differentiation, an untapped part of the market, and something our customers are willing to pay for. You will be the go-to for defining a crucial member of our exceptional high agency all-remote team, and will help us to achieve ambitious objectives to build a code intelligence platform.
📅 Within one month, you will…
- You will start building a trusting relationship with your team and peers.
- Spend time learning from customers about why they chose Sourcegraph.
- You will understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your team is working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Be transparent in your internal and external communication. Sourcegraph is open source, so most discussions are public or in channels where you communicate directly with our customers.
- Maintain the roadmap, backlog, and curate and solicit feedback for the product area.
📅 Within three months, you will…
- You will have identified differentiated experiences and created a clear roadmap for the engineering team
- Uphold your side of the PM – EM partnership responsibilities.
- Begin to define and track activation metrics
- Gather customer feedback to validate priorities, improve documentation, and define product requirements.
- Your peers are enthusiastic to work with you because you reliably follow-through with your commitments.
📅 Within six months, you will…
- Add value to the user by surfacing real problems to improve the trial start flow for cloud and self-managed, in-product onboarding and activations, and in-product calls-to-action
- Shown clear value to customers by shipping meaningful value (AI is moving fast, we can’t wait!)
- Unlocked a key differentiated experience via our Code AI Platform.
- You will celebrate the fact that your team has delivered key results in support of their objectives for the year.
As a Product Manager, you’re the storyteller of the organization, pulling together the story of “why”, and getting people excited about growth and what your team is doing. You collaborate with all parts of the organization to understand our market, our business model and the problems our customers are trying to solve to articulate a growth strategy. You are organized, results driven and provide clarity across the organization and your team, to help inspire focus and reinforce that they are working on the right things. You are constantly curious - wanting to dig into the data, discover optimization opportunities to get our users to value faster. You can identify root causes of friction and devise experiments to address them. You’re empathetic - you bring the voice of the user into every conversation, and hold empathy and understanding for your teammates to align on an experimentation approach that is right.
- 5+ years of experience as a Product Manager with a specialization in enterprise SaaS development
- Experience as a software engineer or other technical background, particularly data-centric
- You have relevant domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: single-tenant cloud products, B2B, SaaS, developer tools, growth, product analytics, and user research
- Experience working with complex products that require integrations or complex implementations
- Your working hours overlap with 8am-5pm Pacific Time for at least 10 hours per week so we have time to collaborate synchronously when necessary.
💪 Nice to haves:
- Experience with LLMs and prompt engineering fundamentals
- Recent meaningful coding experience with an LLM-backed coding assistant
- Familiarity with the latest competitive landscape of coding assistants
- Deep experience with at least one major IDE such as VSCode or IntelliJ
📊 This job is an IC4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰 The target compensation for this role is $190,000 USD base
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 5.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [1hr] Async - RFC Assignment
- [1hr] Product Interview
- [30m] Engineering Collaboration
- [1hr] Resume Deep Dive
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Leadership Interview with co-founder
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees