Developer Advocate - based in San Francisco, CA [IC2]
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code graph powers Cody, the most powerful and accurate AI coding assistant, as well as our Code Search product, which helps devs explore their entire codebase and make large-scale migrations and security fixes. We’re building software that builds software, and in doing so we’re making devs more productive and preparing for a world where a lot more code gets written.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. AI has taken over the world, and we’ve spent the last 10 years building infrastructure that’s integral to making AI generated code more powerful and accurate. Our customers include 4/5 FAANG companies, 4 of the top 10 banks, government organizations, Uber, Plaid, and many other companies building the software that pushes the world forward. We’ve raised $225M at a $2.625B valuation from Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Redpoint, Craft and others. We’re making ambitious bets on our future and we’re looking to hire exceptional people to join our team as we make Sourcegraph one of the biggest and most influential companies in the world.
While Sourcegraph is fully remote, we require the successful candidate for this role to reside in San Francisco, California. Regular attendance at weekly Developer and AI events in the city is an essential aspect of this position.
Why this job is exciting
Cody is the best AI coding assistant today, and you'll get to help build it and get it in the hands of millions of devs. (It's also open source and built in public.) AI applied to software engineering will change the world more than any single other technology. We're perfectly positioned to keep building the best coding AI because of our large-scale, deep understanding of code inside the most advanced companies in the world and across the world of public code.
As a Developer Advocate, you will spend 75% of your time engaging with Developers at events in person and 25% of your time creating content and recording videos.
- Attend 1-3 meet-ups and events in San Francisco weekly
- Represent our user community within Sourcegraph
- Build apps with Cody in public
- Build integrations on top of Cody (such as teaching Cody how to use and gather information from other dev tools, including logging, perf, etc., tools)
- Livestream and record demos of what you build, for Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, etc.
- Be an incredibly helpful and inspirational member of our dev community yourself and help grow it
- Write awesome technical blog posts
- Promote Sourcegraph on social media
- Help connect our user community growth to our product-led growth engine
- Overall, help define what dev advocacy means at Sourcegraph
Skills and experience
- You are intrinsically motivated by Sourcegraph’s mission and Cody.
- Experience as a software engineer or prolific coding
- TypeScript skills (Cody's code is open source)
- Able to communicate technical concepts in a simple and engaging way
- Experience creating high-quality technical writing and videos
- Experience working in a high-agency environment that requires ownership
- You’ve established a strong following on social media platforms
This job is an IC2-IC3. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
The target compensation for this role is $128,314 USD (IC2) and $158,404 (IC3) base.
In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 4.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [60m] Resume Deep Dive with Kelsey Nagel and Ado Kukic
- [60m] Working Session with Alex Isken, Justin Dorfman, Raman Sharma, Beyang Liu, Ado Kukic, Amie Rotherham
- [45m] Cross-functional team collaboration with Justin Dorfman and Amie Rotherham
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Leadership Interview with Quinn Slack or Beyang Liu
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please note - you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process. You can learn more about the team here.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees