Engineering Manager, Platform
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code graph powers Cody, the most powerful and accurate code AI for writing, fixing, and maintaining code, as well as our Code Search product, helping devs explore their entire codebase and make large-scale migrations and security fixes. We’re building software that builds software, and in doing so we’re making devs more productive and growing the population of coders by giving anybody access to the deep knowledge base of a senior engineer through Cody and all of the context it brings. We’re preparing for a world with a lot more code than exists today, and that benefits us all.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. AI has taken over the world, and we’ve spent the last 10 years building infrastructure that’s integral to making AI generated code more powerful and accurate. Our customers include 4/5 FAANG companies, 4 of the top 10 banks, government organizations, Uber, Plaid, and many other companies building the software that pushes the world forward. We’ve raised $225M at a $2.625B valuation from Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Redpoint, Craft and others. We’re making ambitious bets on our future and we’re looking to hire exceptional people to join our team as we make Sourcegraph one of the biggest and most influential companies in the world.
🌎 Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with EST for at least 10 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
At Sourcegraph, we see code syncing & storage, code search, and the code graph as big data challenges. We handle tasks like indexing multi-terabyte monorepos, querying and searching clusters of hundreds of thousands of repos, providing fast & high-quality ranking, and extracting a code graph which is used throughout our products.
As Engineering Manager, Platform, you’ll utilize both your leadership skills and technical acumen. You will be instrumental in propelling Sourcegraph’s Code Search product to become the “Google of Code Search”. You will help support Cody to become the top AI coding assistant. You will lead a team of high-agency, self-directed team mates and will have opportunities to dive in and be deeply technical yourself. You will report directly into the Head of Engineering - Search & Foundations.
Your deep experience in high-scale sharded-computation will help us define the scalability story for our source code syncing and search engine. Your experience in programming language tooling will help us extract a code graph that can be used to power a platform that drives everything from search and navigation to providing the best context for an LLM.
📅 Within one month, you will…
- Take responsibility for three distributed, FAANG-bar teams, roughly nine engineers, and lead them as a front-line manager. Your organization will grow as the company grows.
- Work closely with other Engineering department heads on cross-functional initiatives that touch Code Search and Cody.
📅 Within three months, you will…
- Identify any gaps you see in the Engineering org and help address them in an appropriate way, bringing prior experience to bear in recommending and driving solutions.
- Build a variety of systems, many of which are systems that you yourself may already know we need, and are not listed here. A few examples include:
- a hybrid search architecture which combines modern ML and traditional search techniques for natural language search
- extending our code graph to cover an ever growing set of languages with every easier configuration
- a scalable system for syncing any type of data relevant for Cody or Code Search data
📅 Within six months, you will…
- Champion customer engagement in all phases of design, development and deployment.
📅 Within one year, you will…
- Have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are a technical, customer-driven manager who works from a place of compassion and curiosity. You have experience working with highly technical customers across business sectors. You can work across departments to align requirements and priorities from a broad set of engineering, product, and business stakeholders. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
You find joy in solving complex technical problems at scale. You have personal domain expertise with more than one of distributed systems, search and indexing, or programming language tooling such as compilers, build tools, static/semantic analysis, or language servers. You may not code everyday, but you are eager to jump into the code for anything from answering a customer question to fixing a bug to adding some new functionality.
- You have at least 4 years of experience managing engineering teams and 5 years of hands-on coding experience.You have held a high technical bar for teammates as well as yourself.
- You have relevant domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: distributed systems, search and indexing, or compilers and language tools
- You can work effectively across multiple programming languages with and without prior experience.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Nice to haves:
- You have worked with search quality
- You have experience with machine learning
- You have worked with technologies such as Go, git, Kubernetes, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, AWS, GCP (or equivalent).
📊 This job is an M4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰 The target compensation for this role is $240,000 USD base.
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 6.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen with Devon Coords
- [60m] Technical Screen / Resume Deep Dive with Thorsten Ball
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [15m] Hiring Manager Intro with Erika Rice Scherpelz
- [45m] Cross-team collaboration & technical screen with Kalan Chan & Julie Tibshirani
- [60m] Technical Interview with Anton Sviridov & Erik Seliger
- [60m] Peer Interview / Values Interview with Peter Guy & Nelson Araujo
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Hiring Manager Interview with Erika Rice Scherpelz
- [30m] Values Interview
- [30m] Co-founder Interview with Quinn Slack or Beyang Liu
- [30m] Closing meeting with Carly Jones
- We check references and conduct your background check
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.
Sourcegraph participates in E-Verify for U.S. Employees