Clinical Director of Dental Hygiene and Assisting
Austin, TX, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2023
At Tend, we do dental differently.
Tend is rewriting the playbook of modern dentistry by building a company around the patient and the provider. We believe that with the power of technology, a hospitality-driven mindset, and a top tier clinical team, we can make going to the dentist something to look forward to.
Since launching in 2019, we have provided exceptional care to over 100,000 patients across five major cities: New York, Washington DC, Boston, Atlanta and Nashville. With thousands of five-star reviews, Tend has become one of the country's top-rated and in-demand dental practices, with over 650 team members to support this mission. We’re continuing to grow quickly and looking for the best of the best to come join our team.
The Clinical Director of Dental Hygiene and Assisting is a critical member of the Clinical Leadership team, overseeing the activities of both Hygienists and Dental Assistants. The Director of Hygiene is responsible for building and managing a clinical organizational structure and ensuring mentorship, comprehensive treatment, and quality care to create a patient-centric dental experience to support the values of Tend.
The Director will also collaborate in developing dental strategy and setting clinical goals and direction. They are responsible for overall cohort health of Hygienists and Dental Assistants, including recruitment, retention, engagement, skill pathway and professional development.
- This leader oversees the employment journeys for Hygienists and Dental Assistants, including recruitment, onboarding, development, quality oversight, and retention (see below detail).
- The Director of Hygiene serves as an ambassador, representing Tend’s Mission, Vision, and Values publicly for the recruitment of top clinical talent.
- They will work with their Training Manager direct reports and with the Manager of Clinical Development in the development and execution of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of Hygienists and Dental Assistants.
- The Director makes recommendations to Clinical, Operations, and People leaders for provider discipline, compliance issues, suspension and termination in accordance with established standards of care.
- This leader is responsible for the New Graduate Program development, health, and execution as a key strategy for recruitment and retention.
- The Director of Hygiene works collaboratively with the Clinical, Operations, and People teams in managing the overall health of the Hygienists and Dental Assistants.
- Direct reports will include Hygiene Training Managers and Dental Assistant Training Managers, who in turn oversee studio territories.
- They will support the investigation and resolution of patient escalations regarding quality of care.
- The Director initiates and assists in the creation, development, approval and implementation of clinical policies and procedures in Studio relating to hygiene appointments, which are in compliance with the most current accepted professional standards.
- They will assist in the proposal, decision-making, development, implementation, piloting and evaluation of new programs for the Hygiene and Dental Assistant teams.
- The Director of Hygiene will collaborate with Tend support personnel to help ensure that studio resources, equipment and supplies are utilized efficiently and are cost-effective.
- The Director serves a critical role in ensuring compliance with OSHA and CDC guidelines and serves on the Compliance Team.
- RDH degree
- Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience required, 8-10 years preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in clinical management of clinical teams in a multisite dental organization.
- Must be licensed to practice Hygiene in one of the following: NY, MA, DC, GA, TN, CT, or VA.
- Current CPR certification required.
- Ability to travel to all markets on frequent basis.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Experience creating programs that scale to a growing business
- Adept at working cross functionally to understand priorities, key business levers and develop holistic solutions
- Ability to effectively build, coach and lead a team of employees
- Ability to analyze processes to identify areas in need of improvement.
- Ability to effectively implement process changes
- Positive Attitude
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills
- Extensive knowledge of the principles and practice of dental hygiene and preventative therapies
The Tend Difference.
The highest standard of care, anywhere.
You’ll work with highly-esteemed clinical leadership and experience-obsessed colleagues to provide the best patient experience possible, with access to technology that’s head and shoulders above the average practice. You’ll have exciting opportunities to collaborate with talented team members to make visits extraordinary. Our hospitality-driven approach to care means that patients actually look forward to seeing you.
A top-tier clinical team who puts patients first.
We value science over sales, and promote a culture of warmth and hospitality — our teams are recognized for going the extra mile for our patients. We trust our providers to put patient needs first, and never implement production quotas. We offer a warm, collaborative culture and are proud to be an inclusive, curious team driven by excellence.
A new model that’s a joy to work at.
Tend has become beloved by patients and providers alike for combining beautiful work environments with cutting-edge clinical technology. Our providers are rewarded based on an innovative pay structure, as well as education programs that are training the next generation of industry leaders. And our top-notch total rewards packages include both best-in-class benefits and compensation. You’ll not only have the chance to be part of a thriving, industry-changing company, but empowered to become an expert in your field and supported through continuing education.
Tend is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tend is committed to promoting a work environment in which differences are respected, employees are treated fairly, and individual contributions are valued and rewarded. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.