Director of Engineering, Platform and Infrastructure
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company, backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for startups.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our customer - startup founders. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with office locations in SF, Chicago, and NYC. This role can be based anywhere in the U.S as long as you can work our Vouch core collaboration hours (8:30 am-2:30 pm Pacific Time.)
Vouch is looking for a Director of Engineering, platform and infrastructure to join the Vouch engineering leadership team. The director of platform and infrastructure engineering will be accountable for delivering a variety of software solutions to power Vouch’s rapidly growing insurance business and provide leverage to other engineering and operations teams throughout the company. This role is accountable for core systems and infrastructure to deliver core system components in a service-oriented environment, including foundation technologies such as authorization and authentication, company and user identity across multiple integrated systems, our data warehouse and an advanced data analytics platform, our AI and ML pipeline infrastructure, and core data entity services that underpin our entire system. Success in this role will require a strong combination of deep and broad technical experience and effective team-building and organizational leadership. Demonstrated experience hiring and managing other managers/senior managers and working closely with senior leaders to translate strategic goals into effective execution plans is required.
- Hire, develop, and organize strong technical talent across an organization of 30+ engineers
- Partner with architects and the CTO to define architectural and technical innovation objectives and translate these into effective execution
- Play a key leadership role in one or more company-wide strategic initiatives and effectively interface with insurance, sales, and operations leaders.
- Partner with other engineering leaders to drive growth and maturity of our engineering practices, disciplines, and culture.
- Ensure management of software delivery projects on time and within budget
- Effectively manage SaaS and other operational expenses
- Have 10+ years of software delivery leadership experience
- Have hired, mentored, and promoted managers and leaders in software delivery roles
- Have experience building multiple distributed systems and migration to Service Oriented Architectures in a complex system environment
- Are conversant with all and expert in some of these relevant technologies and paradigms: SOA, Event-based solutions, knowledge graphs, dbt/data modeling, machine learning, LLM or related technologies, product information systems, identity and authentication standards, and protocols.
- Experience managing very senior technical staff such as principal scientists, staff engineers, and fellows.
- Have exceptional communication skills. You can effectively talk (and listen) to engineers, designers, product managers, executives, and other stakeholders
- Deep experience with complex data and entity modeling
- Highly proficiency with a variety of imperative programming architectural patterns with bonus points for basic ML/AI concepts and Production Rules paradigm
Tools & Technologies:
- Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Java (Scala, Kotlin), Python
- Terraform, Consul, Nomad, Docker
- Multiple RDBMS, Snowflake, Document DBs
- ML/AI frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc.
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
- Monthly Doordash credits ($80/month)
The pay range for this role is: $250,000 to $275,000 per year.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits and other perks. We also include stock options in all compensation packages and believe all Vouch employees should have the opportunity to become owners in the company.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, location, and business need. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Vouch believes in putting our people first, and building a diverse team is at the front of everything we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ranges of abilities. We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.