iOS Engineer, Payments - Ireland
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
💻 The role
Payments at Whatnot makes the money flow, and orders happen. The team’s scope is large, encompassing pay, fraud & shipping. Engineers own these entire flows from experience, to vendor integrations, to inhouse infrastructure. Last year we moved >$150m through these pipelines and shipped millions of products to users and this year we’re aiming to 10x those numbers.
To achieve these goals, we’re looking to make a number of substantial improvements to our systems and customer experiences including critical areas of the business like payment scale & reliability, increased payment options, fraud mitigation, advanced shipping options, and improved delivery times and bringing Whatnot to hundreds of millions more customers.
We’re looking for capable iOS engineers with a proven track record for building slick UI's that people love. Whatnot is growing very rapidly, so you must be able to deal with the pressure/growth that comes with a high-growth environment. You will be working in a high-growth startup, wearing multiple hats.
- Build native iOS applications in Swift.
- Build intuitive user interfaces from the ground up.
- Create modifiable, maintainable, and well-tested code.
- Investigate and solve issues with bugs and data inconsistencies.
- Improve the availability and performance of current systems.
- Work with the engineering team to define implementation strategy, define overall requirements, and redefine a product, if needed.
👋 About You
- 3+ years of software engineering experience.
- 2+ years of experience writing production iOS apps.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Expert in Swift - Interest in SwiftUI a bonus!
- Experience writing readable, maintainable, and scalable code
- Strong attention to detail. Whatnot operates without a product team, giving engineering full reign of the product.
- Constantly strives to push yourself and the team forward through technical and intellectual rigor.
- Self-starter. You will be able to hit the ground running with little direction.
- Startup experience at a high-growth company is a major plus.
- A workplace run on trust, empowerment and feedback.
- Competitive base salary and stock options in a hugely successful, Series company
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Comprehensive Health Insurance and Paid Parental Leave
- Work From Home Support
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.