Strategy and Operations Manager, Ads
Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re growing? In January 2021, Whatnot had 10 ambitious employees. We started 2023 with 350+ employees and are continuing to grow. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
📈 Opportunity Size
The e-commerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $300B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
Build the Ads Foundation and Strategy
- Scale our first Ads product on Whatnot! As our first Go-to-Market hire on the team, you will help shape the strategy for our foundational Ads products
- Work across Whatnot’s Go-to-Market team and sellers to drive adoption of Ads products and strategies
- Build programs and initiatives that help sellers meet their performance goals and hold seller deep-dives to gain feedback on efficacy of Ads products
Scale for Growth
- Partner with engineering to design, analyze, and evaluate how we develop and scale different Ads products across Whatnot
- Advocate for Whatnot sellers and represent their voice in determining the engineering roadmap and oversee its execution
- As the business matures, hire and build a team of Ads Operators that coordinate and execute against team objectives
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our first Ads Manager you should have experience in scaling ads products at a tech company, plus:
- 7+ years of overall professional experience
- Past experience at a high growth startup, or working at a direct to consumer marketplace
- Comfortable operating as a team of 1 and will get in the weeds to produce results in a highly ambiguous environment. You are scrappy and no job is too small
- Gathering user feedback, gleaning insights, and advocating for product change
- Ability to dive deep into complex data and leverage learnings to inform go-to-market strategy and product development
- Excellent communication skills and experience in building/ managing partnerships externally
- You have been a top performer wherever you have worked
- Comfort working exceptionally fast in an ambiguous work environment
For US-based applicants: $134,000 - $210,000 /year + benefits + stock options
The salary range may be inclusive of several levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be based on a number of factors including, level, relevant prior experience, skills and expertise. This range is only inclusive of base salary, not benefits (more details below) or equity in the form of stock options.
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.