Communications Manager, Trust & Safety
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
The marketing and communication team at Whatnot is responsible for telling stories, creating experiences, and creating demand which bring buyers and sellers closer to the products and people they love. We’re deeply invested in protecting the Whatnot community and raising awareness of our Trust & Safety practices as a critical function of our communications program. As our Communications Manager, you’ll lead the Trust & Safety communication practice at Whatnot while also working on broader communications initiatives across the company. You’ll be an integral part of the team developing communications programs to build trust in our policies and product related to user & platform safety, data privacy, and more:
- Manage crisis response
- Function as the first level of response for issues related to trust and safety, managing high-profile escalations in real-time in partnership with key stakeholders
- Manage company responses for crisis and emerging issues to create messaging and respond quickly and effectively
- Establish and own a communications playbook for strategic and rapid response best practices
- Build and scale safety narrative and programs
- Build, manage, and maintain the development of a Safety Center, Transparency reports, and a Trust and Safety blog
- Partner with Trust & Safety, Policy, Product, Marketing and Partnerships to help shape, drive growth and adoption of important Trust and Safety programs and product launches through narrative and content for buyers and sellers
- Synthesize research, media and industry insights to provide strategic product and policy risk review and counsel
- Activate the community
- Help drive broader external communications strategy for the company and our product, including content development and media relations across consumer, entertainment, trade, tech, and business
- Identify opportunities to engage the Whatnot community through creative programming and events to build an understanding of Whatnot’s safety work
- Build relationships and seed content with important external opinion leaders to help advance Whatnot’s Trust & Safety narrative
- Seek out speaking opportunities to elevate our executive team presence within the industry
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our Communications Manager, you should have:
- 6+ years of Communications, Marketing or Community Management experience (or a mix). Experience working on Trust & Safety issues and crisis management strongly preferred
- Strong project management capabilities including planning, prioritizing and execution
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with experience developing content for blogs, in-product, websites and more
- A self starter who is able to prioritize in challenging situations and balance between two-sided customer needs and business and seller priorities
- You are comfortable operating on a small team and will get in the weeds to produce results in a highly ambiguous environment. You are scrappy and no job is too small.
- Experience forging relationships and working cross functionally with Trust & Safety, product, engineering, legal, marketing and policy teams
🙏 Nice to Have
- High-growth startup, marketplace or creator-focused platform experience
- Passion for creator communities and existing product categories on Whatnot like Sports Fashion, Collectibles and others
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces communities
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.