Head of Community
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
The marketing team at Whatnot is responsible for telling stories, creating experiences, and creating demand which bring buyers and sellers closer to the products and people they love. We’re focused on expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform. We are seeking an experienced and dynamic Head of Community to proactively build and nurture a thriving community within the Whatnot platform. As the Head of Community, you will be responsible for creating a comprehensive community strategy, developing community events tailored to each vertical, and fostering relationships with our diverse community of sellers, key opinion leaders, and influencers. You will play a crucial role in furthering Whatnot’s reputation as a trusted marketplace to build and scale our business.
- Community Strategy: Develop and execute a community marketing strategy that aligns with Whatnot's overall objectives and brand. Identify opportunities for growth and engagement within the community.
- Community Events Strategy: Plan, organize, and execute community events focused on various verticals, with a particular emphasis on sports cards, trading cards, collectibles (comics and coins), and fashion (including sneakers). Collaborate with relevant internal teams to ensure communities can be fostered and managed in partnership with the vertical teams.
- Advocacy management: Establish and maintain relationships with strategic top sellers in partnership with GTM stakeholders, key opinion leaders, influencers, and community members. Foster a sense of community by engaging various Whatnot leaders in meaningful interactions, organizing AMA (Ask Me Anything) sessions, and hosting Q&A sessions. Owning the development of seller councils and roundtables. You won’t be responsible for having all of these conversations, you’ll run the planning and execution that brings them to life and measures their impact.
- Detractor Management: Engage with voices that have expressed criticism or concerns about the platform. Address concerns, provide support, and work to create advocacy through transparency, empathy, and effective communication.
- Community Support: Collaborate with the customer support team to address community-related inquiries, feedback, and complaints. Act as a liaison between the community and internal stakeholders to ensure prompt and satisfactory resolutions.
- Data Analysis: Monitor and analyze community-related metrics, such as engagement rates, sentiment analysis, and user feedback. Utilize insights to refine community strategies, improve user experience, and drive platform growth.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our Head of Community Marketing you should have:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- 8+ years of marketing experience, with proven experience in community marketing management, preferably within the e-commerce, social, tech, or gaming industry.
- Strong understanding of various collectibles communities, including sports cards, trading cards, comics, coins, and fashion (sneakers).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture relationships with influencers and key opinion leaders.
- Proficiency in social media platforms, community management tools, and data analytics tools.
- Experience in organizing and executing virtual or physical events.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment.
- Passion for collectibles, pop culture, and building vibrant communities a plus.
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.