Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
About the People Team
The purpose of the Whatnot People Team is to empower Whatnauts (what we adoringly call our Whatnot employees!) to be their authentic selves, do their best work, and continuously develop in pursuit of ensuring Whatnot can achieve our ambitious goals. We relentlessly prioritize the Whatnaut people experience to enable autonomy, create a safe, inclusive environment, and empower their success.
We are looking for an experienced Payroll Manager to oversee and drive global payroll processes across FTEs and International and Domestic Contractors.
- Manage the global payroll process across multiple states, countries, and entities to ensure compliance with national and international rules, regulations, and laws
- Manage contractor and international contractor payroll payments
- Manage, support and maintain Payroll HRIS applications by maintaining internal databases and keeping employee records in digital format
- Ensure data integrity between HRIS and global payroll systems
- Prepare calculations of and execute special payments, such as bonuses and commissions, deductions, one-time payments such as referral awards, severance payments, and leave payments
- Respond to employee inquiries for routine questions regarding payroll
- Actively manage the day-to-day relationship with payroll partners, including correspondence, ad-hoc requests, escalation, and troubleshooting
- Partner with the Finance Team to prepare payroll reports for accounting and audit purposes and coordinate audit responses for periodic internal/external payroll audits and compliance reporting, including year-end payroll, 401(k), and Workers Compensation
- Oversee maintenance of tax accounts and liabilities such as Unemployment, Income Tax, and etc. domestically and internationally
- Review and audit current processes to ensure compliance, while recommending and implementing changes where needed
- Stay informed of local payroll related law changes to keep up with regulations for compliance, advise on needed actions, and maintain consistency with local wage and hour laws
- Oversee the leave process and ensure compliance with FMLA and state regulations.
- Ensure compliance with governmental regulations related to benefit programs and labor law, including ERISA, FMLA, and HIPAA, and monitor for state legal and regulatory updates, inclusive of COVID-19 legislation, in relation to benefits management
- Day-to-day, this role is remote, with a strong preference for a candidate to be co-located near one of our three offices (NYC, LA, or SF)
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Payroll Manager, you should have 7+ years of managing global payroll, plus:
- Experience working in a fast-paced, hyper growth organization with a track record of being action-oriented, proactive, and working iteratively
- Strong analytical (vlookups, pivot tables) and problem solving skills with a high level of integrity and attention to detail
- Capability to communicate effectively within a remote-first environment
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, prioritize deliverables, maintain time management skills
Nice to Have…
- Experience working with Rippling, Workday and/or Deel
- Experience implementing an HRIS or payroll system
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or similar APA designation
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.