Software Engineer, 2024 New Grad
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
💻 The role
We are looking for intellectually curious, highly motivated individuals to join us post grad in 2024. The most important skills you’ll need to have are making sound product decisions and shipping high-quality products fast. We look for engineers with great product instincts who can own whole projects from start to finish.
The engineering team has a lot of individual responsibility and many more freedoms, so we need to hire people we can trust. Your ability to make good trade-offs and exercise good judgment is essential to us. Some job duties include:
- Building new features for users in our live-streams
- Implementing growth tactics and strategies to scale our buyer and seller flows
- Building systems at scale that help us deliver a high trust marketplace experience
- Writing product or system development code
- Designing, implementing, and operating our most critical and scalable services
- Carefully evaluating the technical tradeoffs of every decision
- Supporting features at every phase, from design through implementation and launch
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues, network, or service operations and quality.
👋 About You
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Engineer you should have some industry software engineering experience, plus
- Graduating with a CS or Software Engineering degree in Dec 2023 or by Summer 2024
- Problem solver and out-of-the-box thinker
- Willing to take risks and build product and systems for 1M+ users
- Capable of building scalable systems
- Excellent product instincts. You first think about users rather than the best technical solution
- You are known for shipping products and features lightning-fast
- Ability to pick up on new technologies very quickly
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.