Trust & Safety Regulatory Counsel
Trust & Safety and Regulatory Counsel
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
We are looking for a self-motivated, organized and creative lawyer to serve as Whatnot’s first Trust & Safety and Regulatory Counsel. As a member of Whatnot’s legal team, this person will provide day to day counseling on a broad range of issues.
What you’ll do:
- Advise operations teams on user-generated content issues, content moderation and marketplace regulations, law enforcement response and trust/safety matters.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to implement and maintain scalable processes for user verification, content moderation, data reporting, data subject access responses and others as required by law.
- Assist the Trust & Safety, Policy and Support teams with daily responses to legal requests to ensure proper implementation of our policies and identify edge cases that need closer consideration.
- Support engagement with regulators and legislators on safety issues
- Work closely with internal business partners to provide strategic and proactive legal advice on arbitration, litigation and regulatory matters, including but not limited to understanding, interpreting, and applying current law and regulations to Whatnot’s current and prospective products and services.
- Keep up-to-date on new legislation and regulations, including DSA, Inform Act and DAC7 to ensure the company maintains the highest compliance standards. This includes working with the product team to ensure that legal interpretations are aligned.
- Investigate fraud concerns on the Whatnot platform and communicate legal demands as needed.
- Serve as point of contact on all Legal Data Requests and work with cross-functional teams to address requested information.
- Litigate issues related to online safety
👋 About You
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
You should have:
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one state.
- 6+ years of legal experience, including government, in-house and/or law firm experience advising technology companies
- Litigation experience
- Demonstrated work experience in the area of trust & safety and regulatory affairs.
- Strong knowledge of regulatory requirements such as Inform Act, DSA and DAC7.
- Experience reviewing processes and process documentation to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Ability to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive attitude to the workplace and is willing to jump on any project, big or small.
🙏 Nice to Have
- Experience in a highly regulated industry
- Experience supporting policy and governance teams within an e-commerce, marketplace, or retail organization
- Experience taking on projects involving different subject matters, and working with cross-functional organizations to drive alignment
- Experience supporting a global team at an internet services and technology company
- Experience working on multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, delivering practical advice under pressure and operating within ambiguity
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.