General Manager, Canada
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.n
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
🏎 About the Go-to-Market Team
The Go-to-Market team at Whatnot is responsible for the expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform.
As a General Manager, Canada, you’ll be responsible for quickly scaling the country on Whatnot and fully owning its P&L and growth trajectory. You’re excited to “zoom in” and “zoom out” on a daily basis to both execute and guide the country strategy.
Build the country foundation
- Bring sellers into our ecosystem and be an advocate for our mission. Build pipeline, cold call, onboard and manage relationships to help them grow on Whatnot
- Execute marketing activations alongside influencers and category evangelists to generate awareness of Whatnot in Canada
- Define and monitor key success metrics in the country to drive focus and execution
- Own our strategic partnerships - grow our relationships with top sellers, brands and influencers in Canada
- Develop scalable strategies to grow both sellers and buyers simultaneously
- Identify unlocks to create step-change growth in our business. Spot our biggest gaps to doubling growth and attack them with rigorous focus and testing
- See around corners. Chart the path for future growth within your country and build a plan for getting there - what categories we’ll expand into and who we’ll serve next
- Hire a team of strong Partnership Managers as the country grows
- Be a steward of our product. Ensure that we’re meeting the needs of your country to make sure they can be successful on Whatnot
- Work with cross-functional partners to bring solutions to light that can serve our newest communities
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
- You have a passion for our mission at Whatnot - you live and breathe the needs of our communities and work relentlessly to improve their experiences on Whatnot
- You have 7+ years of experience working in partnerships and marketing in high growth, fast-paced environments
- You have experience working in the Canadian market and understand the nuances of Canadian customers
- You are comfortable operating on a small team and will get in the weeds to produce results in a highly ambiguous environment. You are scrappy and no job is too small
- You are a world-class leader with experience hiring, managing, and developing a team
- You are deeply analytical and comfortable understanding and manipulating data to gain and take action on business insights
🙏 Nice to Have
- Experience working on a marketplace or two-sided platform where you’ve had to balance the needs of multiple parties
- Experience with developing internal policies and processes for a fast-growing business
- Proficiency in SQL
- Passion for creator communities, existing product categories on Whatnot, and/or new verticals that are uniquely suited for live e-commerce
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces
- Speaking French as well as English is a plus
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone, internet, or co-working space
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $20,000 for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.