Cloud Security Engineer
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
📈 Opportunity Size
Retail disruption is one of the largest opportunities in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is taking off around the world – a $300B GMV market in China that’s grown 100% YoY. Whatnot is bringing it to the world through a community-first approach, starting in the U.S. where retail is a $5T market opportunity!
- You’ll be responsible for maintaining (and raising) the security bar across our production cloud environments
- Design end to end software features and systems for Cloud Security Baseline Measurement, Cloud IAM, hybrid public-private cloud infra, and related cloud security tooling
- Operate vulnerability discovery tools for operating systems, containers, and software libraries
- Remediate and validate security issues across cloud infrastructure
- Build, deploy, and manage production security tools and services to monitor networks, endpoints, and cloud workloads
- Design and operate scalable processes to provision cloud access and maintain least-privilege
- Leverage your expertise in systems, network, and cloud security to troubleshoot production services
- Maintain a reliable and low-touch infrastructure using technologies such as Terraform, Kubernetes, and immutable images
- Design and develop new systems to empower fast data-driven decisions
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Cloud Security Engineer you should have a minimum of 5 years experience in public cloud infrastructure security at scale, plus:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong experience with AWS cloud provider
- Experience as a security engineer, software engineer, site reliability engineer, or security consultant
- Detailed understanding of cloud and network security
- Fluency in one or more programming or scripting languages
- Understanding of modern cloud technology components and deployment patterns: virtual machines, containers, Kubernetes, serverless, infrastructure as code, etc
For US-based applicants: $205,000/year to $235,000/year + benefits + stock options
The salary range may be inclusive of several levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be based on a number of factors including, level, relevant prior experience, skills and expertise. This range is only inclusive of base salary, not benefits (more details below) or equity in the form of stock options.
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.