Director, Category Marketing
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, whether working remotely or from one of our offices. We are building a team that has experience from top tech, retail and payments platforms in the world.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
The marketing team at Whatnot is responsible for telling stories, creating experiences, and creating demand bringing buyers and sellers closer to the products and people they love. We’re focused on expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform. We are seeking an experienced Director of Marketing to expand marketing capabilities across our key categories including Sports, Fashion, Collectibles and more.
As our Director of Category marketing you’ll be responsible for driving demand against our biggest categories and growing the Whatnot brand by building awareness and adoption. You will manage and scale a team of marketers focused against our largest categories. You’re a consumer marketing leader who has built and scaled world class brands. You’ve led diverse marketing teams, spanned performance, influencer, community and campaigns that grow genuine relationships with consumers.
- You will define our approach to category specific marketing designed to garner widespread awareness and demand across our highest value verticals.
- Your team will be leading the growth strategy for our categories including liaising with performance marketing and influencer teams to set and achieve ambitious growth goals.
- Events strategy and execution - core to many of our biggest communities are cons and events where legions of enthusiasts congregate to express their passion. You’ll lead our category events roadmaps, goalset and partner with our events team to bring these moments to life.
- You’ll work with the team on how to identify and activate key influencers across these categories and partner with them in unique and authentic ways to activate their communities on Whatnot. You’ll be accountable for the direct impact to first time buyers from these influencer activations.
- Category tentpole campaigns - our categories should always be developing a cadence of disruptive and genuine campaigns which get core communities engaged.
- You’ll work with your teams to develop a regular cadence of on-app programming tied to key moments, unique sellers, attention worthy product, and endemic product releases that make Whatnot the go-to platform where the community convenes. You will program these moments across relevant surfaces to drive cross category adoption within the Whatnot ecosystem.
- In partnership with your teams you’ll develop a category specific social strategy to build Whatnot communities across our key verticals.
- You’ll build a highly collaborative partnership with our creative team to develop campaigns, creative, and collateral to bring your marketing strategy to life.
- You’ll own the measurement framework for how your activity drives brand and business impact and work with stakeholders across data science, finance, and growth to ensure our category efforts are driving responsible growth.
- Work hand in hand with GMs of our categories to ensure our marketing strategies align to our business goals.
- You’ll partner with performance marketing to ensure that categories are helping to drive lower funnel growth, partner on the development of performant creative, and create feedback loops that are constantly optimizing and growing demand.
- You will bring a wealth of experience in marketing operations on not just creating brand elevating work, but doing so in a replicable and scaled way in a high growth environment
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our Director of Category Marketing you should have 8+ years of marketing experience, including time at a high-growth consumer startup, plus:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- You’re a world-class leader with experience building out and scaling a marketing team.
- Proven experience in consumer marketing and brand management through chapters of hyper growth, preferably within the e-commerce, social, tech, or gaming industry.
- Strong understanding of various enthusiast communities, including sports cards, trading cards, comics, coins, and fashion (sneakers).
- Demonstrated ability to build and nurture relationships with influencers.
- Proficiency in social media platforms, community management tools, and data analytics tools.
- Experience in organizing and executing virtual or physical events.
- Comfort in being analytical, owning budget and ROI metrics.
- You’re immersed in internet culture and can use that knowledge to identify trends, creators and opportunities for the Whatnot brand to build and grow.
- You are comfortable operating on a small team and will get in the weeds to produce results in a highly ambiguous environment. You are scrappy and no job is too small.
For US-based applicants: $240,000/year to $285,000/year + benefits + stock options
The salary range may be inclusive of several levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be based on a number of factors including, level, relevant prior experience, skills and expertise. This range is only inclusive of base salary, not benefits (more details below) or equity in the form of stock options.
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Short term disability & Long term Disability
- Whatnot covers 99% of employee premium costs, and 75% of dependent care premiums for Medical
- Dental and Vision sponsored 100% by Whatnot for employees and dependents
- Work From Home Support
- Laptop provided by Whatnot and home office setup allowance
- $450 work-from-anywhere quarterly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $1,350 quarterly allowance on food
- $1,500 quarterly allowance for wellness
- 16 weeks Paid Parental Leave and gradual return to work
- $5,000 annual allowance towards childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Professional Development
- $2,000 annual benefit to invest in your professional development
- 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts provided by Betterment
- Employer matching contributions of 100% of up to 4% of contributions on base salary
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.