Backend Engineer, Commerce
Whatnot is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re building the future of ecommerce, bringing together community, shopping and entertainment. We are committed to our values, and as a remote-first team, we operate out of hubs within the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, and Germany today.
We’re innovating in the fast-paced world of live auctions in categories including sports, fashion, video games, and streetwear. The platform couples rigorous seller vetting with a focus on community to create a welcoming space for buyers and sellers to share their passions with others.
And, we’re growing. Whatnot has been the fastest growing marketplace in the US over the past two years and we’re hiring forward-thinking problem solvers across all functional areas.
- The Formats team builds new buying and selling formats on Whatnot (think Offers, Reverse Auctions, Flash Sales, and more). We operate on top of our commerce foundations and seek to both unlock tremendous incremental GMV and create exciting ways for our users to transact.
- We are a fullstack team and work across a wide surface of our product to create full-featured end to end user experiences. We rely on all of our team members to have a strong product sense and to deeply understand our users in the work they do.
- We’re looking for a backend engineer with both a strong systems background and the ability to ship high quality code quickly. You should excel at making the right tradeoffs between building it fast and building it right. We’ll often prototype new ideas quickly and then need to build them for extreme scale while coordinating closely with other teams - the ideal person for this role is an expert at both of these approaches.
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
As our next Backend Engineer on Formats, you should have 5+ years of full-time software engineering experience in high growth startups, plus:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Expert at designing and building scalable and maintainable backend systems.
- Ability to pick up on new technologies very quickly.
- Excellent product instincts. You first think about users rather than the best technical solution.
- You are known for shipping products and features lightning-fast.
- You’re an excellent problem solver and don’t need to be told exactly what to do.
- You can mentor others and prioritize building inclusive, supportive teams.
- Project owner - you have strong ownership instincts and can own projects from inception to production and beyond.
For US-based applicants: $178,000/year to $235,000/year + benefits + stock options
The salary range may be inclusive of several levels that would be applicable to the position. Final salary will be based on a number of factors including, level, relevant prior experience, skills and expertise. This range is only inclusive of base salary, not benefits (more details below) or equity in the form of stock options.
- Flexible Time off Policy and Company-wide Holidays (including a spring and winter break)
- Health Insurance options including Medical, Dental, Vision
- Work From Home Support
- $1,000 home office setup allowance
- $150 monthly allowance for cell phone and internet
- Care benefits
- $450 monthly allowance on food
- $500 monthly allowance for wellness
- $5,000 annual allowance towards Childcare
- $20,000 lifetime benefit for family planning, such as adoption or fertility expenses
- Retirement; 401k offering for Traditional and Roth accounts in the US (employer match up to 4% of base salary) and Pension plans internationally
- Parental Leave
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave + one month gradual return to work *company leave allowances run concurrently with country leave requirements which take precedence.
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.